1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dumb question...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SpottedCrow, Jan 26, 2007.

1. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I've never had a bantam chicken before...so....
    How many bantam eggs equal a standard Leghorn egg? I can post a pic if needed.

2. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Two bantam eggs to one normal egg is the usual cooking conversion. Useful if you have to make half of a recipe which states '1 egg' [​IMG]

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I use 2 to 3 banty eggs to one regular sized egg. My d'uccle's eggs I use 3. The silkie amd others little one I have, I use 2. You can eyeball it to tell pretty much.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Really not a dumb question at all. Kinda funny however that one accepts the smaller banty eggs, cause you don't expect the larger eggs, however some standard breeds are given a bad rap at times because they are still able to close the egg carton cover,thinking that breed should lay much larger eggs.[​IMG]

bigzio

5. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I also say 2 to 1. That is what I go by as a rule of thumb.

6. SpottedCrow

That's what I thought...Thanks everyone. I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow!!

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    p.s. You've never asked a dumb question! It was very interesting to learn the answer!

8. SpottedCrow

Thanks, Judy...and they were delicious too!!!

9. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Not a dumb question at all. I didn't know for sure at first either!

While any individual banty egg can vary from tiny to medium, on average it's almost dead-on 2:1 (at least for our flock).

We sell banty eggs at market (along with large eggs), and I periodicly weigh a bunch together - always comes out half size for the lot.

-Frank

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by