Dumb question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Patoot, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    I got 4 pullets from a local ranch. They are RIR. He wasn't sure of the exact age, but was pretty sure they were about 3 1/2 mos old. I will post pics, but they all look the same except 2 seem a little bigger/older with more developed combs. Can I be confident they are all girls at that older age? They are now about 4 months. I can post a pic of all them, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Bree

2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Post pictures please [​IMG]

3. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    If the rancher owns a relatively good number of chickens, at 3 months, I'd say he should know if they were pullets or not. It's not like sexing day old chicks. But there are some that manage to trick a careless eye now and again, so posting pics is a surer way.

4. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    Okay I will. I'll take some when I get home.

Bree

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    A'waitin for those pictures...... [​IMG]

6. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    Here they are. Not great because they were with my phone and it was raining. This isn't every one of them, but hopefully this gives you an idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's really hard to tell in those pictures, a clear side view is best for determining sex. If they are truly 3 1/2 months old, then their combs are awfully red and big for that age, so I'd say boys.

8. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    I'll take more. I don't know their age. I got them 2 weeks ago and he said they were about 3.5 months old and said they should start laying by the end of September. Two have larger combs and two have little (barely there) light combs. The two with little combs are smaller in size and look younger. I'll go get some other pics. I hope they aren't boys.

Bree

9. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Remember that when RIR come into laying, those combs and wattles (which can be larger) become pretty big/red. I know exactly which one of my 4 month old RIR hens is laying. Big red comb and wattle.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  10. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    Here are more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by