Dumb question?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bullyforme, Jul 15, 2011.

1. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    Please bear with me if this is a ridiculous question. I have a smaller coop with a bantam roo (that I'm trying to rehome, PM me!) and two bantam pullets. The coop could easily fit two more bantams or one standard chicken.

My question is this, how big an entrance can a full sized hen fit through? The entrance into the coop is a pet door, about 7" X 6". My huge (15 lb) cat fit through it, and my full sized rabbit can squeeze through a 2" opening, so I wonder how much of a hen is really feathers? Could a 6-7 lb hen fit through this little door?

I am kind of wanting to add a standard hen because I'm getting really tired of getting bantam "pullets" only to have them crowing within a few weeks. Standard sized pullets seem a little easier for the hatchers to sex.

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    I am thinking you would be okay. Get a smaller standard breed, not a Jersey Giant type, LOL The feathers may show a bit of wear. I know my hens can sneak out of a small opening when they are in a hurry to get let out for some free range time. I barely get the door cracked and they are bailing out!

3. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    The only dumb question is the one you're afraid to ask.[​IMG]

4. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    Thanks, any ideas for a good smaller standard breed? I saw a partridge chantecler pullet on craigslist this AM, I read they are about 6-7 lbs as hens. Is this on the smaller side?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by