dumb question?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kinnyg, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Kinnyg

Kinnyg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Ok so I'm a newbie, and was wondering what the difference is if any between a crele orpington and a cream legbar. What makes them so special to command high prices? Is it just supply and demand? Do they lay more eggs? Do the egg taste better too?

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! I'm sorry but I can't answer your question because I haven't had either of those but I'll check into it!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

I think that they command such high prices because they are rare. People think that rare = better, or want a more unusual bird, so pay higher prices. In many cases, rare breeds don't lay any better and the eggs taste the same.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I have no idea! But I think Wyandottes has given you some great advice. Anything that is not common is going to cost more.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, they are "rare" in one way or another. The Legbars are a blue egg layer, the Crele Orps are a "new" color being developed in the Orps.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :) I agree with Wyandottes7's advice.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Then you have Ayam Cermanis - a breed that is black through and through (inside and outside) I think they are the highest priced now. Everybody seems to want them.

When everyone starts breeding them and trying to sell chicks, etc. the price will drop to the basement and they will be stuck with black chickens. Meanwhile I understand the Asian market for them is very strong.

8. Kinnyg

Kinnyg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Ok thank guys; so they are different birds then? I saw those Ayam on ebay it didn't look that they was really saling on there thou. That's one evil looking bird. Black on the inside too. Smh. I saw pic of the inside of its mouth. Does it have a black heart?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by