DUMB satellite question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rusty Hills Farm, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I have DirecTv. They have a bunch of satellite music channels. Is there any way to play those channels on a radio or satellite radio instead of on the tv?

(Gee, can you tell I'm not the most electronics-literate person out here?)

[​IMG]

Rusty

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

LOL!!! I have DirecTV too and we use those music channels all the time. And I have no idea, so you are not alone.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Don't know about a radio, but you could come in to a dvd or vcr and out on audio out to some speakers maybe?

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Set your stereo(reciever) to play all your TV sounds(assuming you dont have a surround sound system) only problem is you will have to have your screen on when listening to the Satellite Tunes.

Most TVs (within last 10 years or so) have audio out connections which get hooked to audio in or AUX on reciever.

5. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    only problem is you will have to have your screen on when listening to the Satellite Tunes.

This is my problem. I listen WAY more than I watch regular tv and this ruins the tv after awhile. Twice now, the tv I'm listening to has developed color streaks across the screen that eventually affect the picture when trying to watch regular the tv programming. This has only happened to whichever tv I listen on, so that's why I'm trying to figure out how to take the tv out of the loop. All the rest of the tvs in the house have great pictures with no streaks.

Rusty​

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Your satellite receiver should have audio out connections that you can run to a stereo or boom box with audio in connections. You don't necessarily need the TV on except to access the menus and pick the channel. Once that's done you can turn off the TV and just listen on the stereo.

7. paulray2

paulray2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2008
    You Only Need To Get A Set Of Speakers With RCA Type Plugs
    That Will Plug Into The Audio Out On The Back Of Your Direct TV
    Receiver. We Have Ours Hooked Up This Way And Love It.
    Make You A List Of The Channels And Music Type And Keep This Handy.
    You Can Go By This List For The Channel You Want To Listen To. Then Turn On
    Only The Direct TV Receiver And Choose Your Channel.

8. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Thanks! Now that I've looked at the back of the box I do see where the audio out plugs are so I'm goin' hunting for a set of speakers with RCA plugs!

[​IMG] I knew I could count on you guys!

Rusty

9. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    There are radio channels available on the internet, some free, some real cheap. You can then play them through your computer. It is also possible to download your music from your sat TV channels if you have a TV card, and then you can take them with you.

10. GrayDragon

GrayDragon Chillaxin

Sep 2, 2009
    Minnesota

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by