Dumbest question of 2010

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tenneesse, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Tenneesse

Tenneesse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    Woodbury, Middle Tn
    Do Roosters Molt?

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Yes [​IMG]

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Yes, and it's not the dumbest question of 2010-----the dumbest question of 2010 is the one not asked.

4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] the one not asked is the dumbest!

5. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Some only molt about every 3 years, like my Red Shouldered Yokohamas

[​IMG]

7. GlitterBug

GlitterBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Wow, what a beautiful bird!!

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    birdaholic, I'm gonna start counting how many threads you post that same pic of your rooster in [​IMG] He's pretty, but at least post some different pics

Nope, not a dumb question though. And yes, they do molt.

9. MYNSBTR

MYNSBTR Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Ocean County
    I know you said the only dumb question is the one not asked...but what about this one? I have 2 chickens...got them when they were a day old. Recently, we learned that one is a rooster. Because the other one was quiet and pleasant, we figured we had a hen as well. Turns out the past 3 or so days, the "hen" has been starting to crow like the rooster. Is it because "she" hears the rooster crowing, and is mimicking, or could this be a rooster as well? This is my first experience with chickens at all and when we got them, the guy said it was impossible to sex them so young. You have to wait until they are so many weeks old. Someone on another post, said that in a group of hens, one might start crowing to prove to be the dominant hen...that's not the case in this situation.

What do you think? Do I have two roosters? If so, anyone in NJ want them? They really are sweet, but I really got the chickens for eggs, I don't want to breed or anything like that.

Thanks [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sounds like you have multiple roosters. [​IMG] An experienced person can sex a chick just by look at it by about 4 weeks old, sometimes even younger depending on breed and color. But all in all, roosters mature at different rates. Some will crow later than others.

Young pullets/hens do not crow, although it is true that some hens may crow to be dominant when there is no rooster around, but that takes sheer luck to have such a bird and also takes time for the bird to come to that point. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by