Dumbing down of America

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 4 luv of eggs, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I know I can't be alone on this. No one can spell or construct a complete sentence anymore. I know it's because of spell check and internet abbreviations but this is getting seriously toxic. This has become an enormous pet peeve with me. Is anyone with me on this or am I among a dying breed?

I worked in a warehouse awhile back and the Human Resource person had everything in her office labeled. Instead of having "potential employee", she had the bins labeled "partential employee". I wanted to scream. This apparently was acceptable to the management.

Does anyone else notice this? Does it bother you?

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Many of us here are with you. In my opinion the cause is that people simply do not care. You would think that with all the written communication that goes along with the internet people's writing skills would be better.

You've gotta check out the online dating sites. The grammar there is horrendous and these people are trying to meet potential mates.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We have an internet based complaint system at work and one gal sticks apostrophies to every single word that ends with an S. Doe's, remember's, driver's, turn's. Make me NUTS!!!

4. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Quote:Maybe it's best they don't find mates and procreate another illiterate generation.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I beg your pardon, but don't you mean that it drives you nut's? [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] Yeah that. I have sworn to sit down with her and have an educational meeting.

7. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida

[​IMG]

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Another reason for the dumbing down? No one is willing to take responsibility for themselves!
    [​IMG]

9. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Maybe it's best they don't find mates and procreate another illiterate generation.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:OMG Kate!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by