Dumbo rats? Found Breeder, pics added which to choose?

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
My 12 year old son has recently decided he would like a rat. After much research and deliberation we have decided we would like to add two female dumbos to our family. (We have had rats before our last rat, Snitch, RIP. Passed away about 5 years ago).

I am going to build a large cage(similar to the way rabbit cages are built) using the crimpers and the square chicken wire. Probably with 3 levels and tubes and rope ladders and other toys...I am very excited, our whole family loves rats!

We're in the process of looking for a responsible breeder with in an hr or so drive from us.

I'd love to see pics of anybody else dumbos, or home made rat cages even.
Thanks!

Last edited:
We HAD a blue dumbo baby, the cutest lil thing you ever saw, but she NEVER wanted to be handled, we got her from a breeder of speciality and show types.

critters10-09020.jpg

and here is a photo of her first cage, we got another cage when we got more rats, but I cant find the photo of it

9-09005.jpg

Yay! Ratties!!! I finally got a little girl a few weeks ago, hadn't had rats for a number of years. As soon as I can find a blue baby girl I will be getting her a friend. I will post a picture of our cage as soon as DH finishes it. We're converting one of the large ferret/chinchilla cages for her. Have to cover it with the 1/2" hardware cloth because of course the bars are too far apart.

You're using the hardware cloth for your cage right? The 1/2" square stuff not actual chicken wire? They can fit through that, and I think they can even chew threw it since it's lighter gauge wire than the other stuff.

Post pictures please, I love seeing rat pix! They are such good pets, I wish people weren't afraid of them. They get such a bad rep, they are nothing like their wild cousins.

That rat is so cute! ANd I want a nice big cage like that as wel!

I also want to find a blue, ideally a powder blue, I hope I can find a breeder close by.

I think I am going to help teach my son to clicker train it.

I'm so excited!

I have 5 or so, plus two new litters of 17 babies! Let me see if I have any pics.

This is my favorite male, Ballderdash. If you've seen a male rat, you can guess where I got that name.
lol.png

Rats9-2-10022.jpg

Rats9-2-10033.jpg

This is Quaker, who just had a litter of 8 babies today.

Rats9-2-10006.jpg

And here is the group on the day I got them!

Rats8-16-10063-1.jpg

There is Quaker, Ballderdash, Jello Box, Taco, Mango, Pippet and Orbit! Odd names, I know... but my best bud and I were bored so we went random, lol. That funky looking one on the top of the pic, the one that is kinda balding, isnt sick. She's a double rex... she lost most of her hair then grew back a short curly layer.

I breed for feeders btw, I also own 7 snakes.
lol.png

Found a breeder, here are pics she sent me, all girls.. One hairless Dumbo girsl, the rest just normal Dumbos...oh which 2 to choose!!
27498_getattachmentaspx_1.jpg

27498_getattachmentaspx_2.jpg

27498_getattachmentaspx.jpg

27498_getattachmentaspx_3.jpg

Last edited:
I say pick 3 or 4 of them! Honestly do this!! If you pick 2 and one dies, then you have to find another breeder, quarantine the newbie and HOPE that the older one will accept it. Rats shouldnt be alone, so you always need at least two! I say get 3 and have a blast with them!!!

Back
Top Bottom