Dumer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by roxyblue, Dec 25, 2011.

1. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas!
    My family and I are going to Florida soon, and I remembered that I was very low on feed. Because I had to go to a play practice my mom had to go to the feed store instead........I have had them on purina layer pellets for a year now and LOVE the brand. However, she came home with....you guessed it, Dumer feed (the feed store was all out or purina so I don't blame my mother.) I was just wondering what your experiences have been with the Dumer brand. I am slowly introducing it to them right now.
    Thanks!
    -Roxy

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I've never had a problem with it, I've gotten Purina feed a couple times and don't notice a lot of difference between the two.

3. 7961

7961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    MI
    You will be fine with the Dumor, despite all of the opinion and experiences stated here. I fed that for a number of years with no issues. I only changed over to the Purina Flock Raiser feed because I really like the results I get from feeding that particular feed. I am speaking of the physical and aesthic qualities because I raise standard bred lines for show. Never saw any egg production or quality deficiencies either. Some people say a chicken's crap smells worse when fed Dumor. Their crap will still smell like chicken crap.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I used Dumor for my chicks till they were almost 6 months old.

I saw no ill effects.

I only switched because I found an organic feed that was the same price at the time.

I gotta say that after I switched, I DID notice that their poop didn't smell nearly as pungent as when I had them on the Dumor.

[​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

DuMor is simply Tractor Supply's house brand, just like a lot of stores, Sears with Craftsman or Kenmore, which can just be a Whirlpool with a Kenmore decal.

DuMor is packed by Purina. The formula varies ever so slightly. No big deal. Like buying generic tomato catsup instead of buying Heinz. You save a little money.

6. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Okay, thanks guys!
    My chickens took to it pretty fast, luckily. I live in the city so hopefully the poop issue will not cause the neighbors any discomfort. I'm also curios about what ingredients are in the DuMor products. Do you know what it is in the feed that causes their poo to stink?
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by