dummy eggs -- are these okay as is?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by johnskoi, Dec 9, 2013.

1. johnskoi

johnskoi Chillin' With My Peeps

my sebbie hen laid her 2nd egg this morning (i believe her first was on the 7th) ... i'm swapping the eggs out with old (over a year and they're VERY lightweight) peafowl eggs as she's laying ... i thought the first might spook her and i don't want to screw her up as she's laying EXACTLY where i hoped she would [​IMG] ... when i went let everyone out this morning she was fussing with the nest big time so i let her be -- an hour or so later, she was out and about and laid egg #2 right next to the lightweight pea egg and covered them up -- i swapped egg #2 with another dud pea egg,,

went to the craft store and picked up some unfinished wooden dummy eggs -- they seem to be a LOT closer in both size and weight, but they're WOOD ..... would i (hah--wood eye [​IMG]) be better off painting them white or do you think she'll be okay with them as is?

can't leave the original eggs in the nest for 2 reasons:

-- my silkies will most likely start to incubate them

and

-- night's are so cold, they WILL freeze and crack

....my plan is to slip them back under her once she starts to sit on them --- how many can a goose safely cover with good results? if she goes over 8, i plan to slip the oldest ones under some broody silkies...

tia, john

(and a thank you once again to miss lydia -- this is the same girl who had an eye issue this summer that is undetectable now)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I have had bright green easter eggs in the nest boxes at times. It doesn't seem to bother them for laying but a broody will kick them out of the nest. I suggest if you do paint them to paint them something other then the normal color of her eggs so you don't try to cook it. I had a brown wood egg that was the same size, weight, and color as my my layers and I have been known to try to crack it open a time or two. (I don't wash unless necessary.)

3. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

My geese get their eggs very dirty in the bare soil, so I reckon the wooden eggs would be fine as colour goes. Besides that. my geese will rake in stones, bits of concrete, rocks three times the size of their eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by