Dumor Chick starter/grower? I'm confused!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, May 16, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I have been feeding my 10 week old chicks Dumor Chick Starter/Grower. Well on the back of the bag it says:
    0-10 weeks-Chick Starter/Grower 20%
    10-20 weeks- Poultry Grower/Finisher 15%
    20+ weeks- Poultry Layer 16%

So I went to the feed store today and got the Dumor Chick Grower/Finisher since they just finished the starter/grower. Except it sounds like its for meat birds....Is it for meat birds? I am raising them for eggs.
    Thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    As far as I know, the term finisher is only used in reference to meat birds.

I agree, though, that label is very confusing. I would not have bought the finisher, I would have stayed with the grower til I switched to layer. Actually I don't even feed layer, I feed everyone grower and just offer oyster shell on the side, because grower has a little more protein and because my flock, who are all together, range in age from a week or so to 3+ years.

If you haven't opened the bag, if I were you I'd see if they would let me exchange it for grower. I don't understand why they mark it that way either. Maybe they figure you will know not to buy finisher if you're not raising meat birds -- but I feel it should be clearer than that.

Or if you're stuck with it, maybe you could get some grower and mix them to increase the protein a little. My grower is only 17% or 18% protein, if that helps.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You can feed the teenagers any thing!!! Other than layer, of course. The high calcium of layer is not recommended for pre-laying chicks.

Again, you can feed your 10 week olds starter, grower, finisher, flock raiser, anything. It's all feed and all acceptable. The protein will vary by product and the choice is yours as to what to feed them, at what price point.

4. sgoff

sgoff Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    Ruston, Louisiana
    At what age do you start the layer feed? Do you wait until they actually start laying or do you start feeding it before?

5. Fred's Hens

You should wait until they are squatting in front of you. Their combs and faces will turn bright, bright red but the squatting means, "please mount me, your handsome rooster" [​IMG][​IMG]

That is the surest sign that eggs will be coming within a week or two. That's normally 18 weeks, but each breed is sooo different.

6. 04SportsterChick

04SportsterChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Maryland
    I was just wondering...being new to chickens... do they squat if there is no rooster? I only have 6 pullets, about 10-11 weeks old. Is it a natural thing they do with or with out the handsome guy?[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  7. Fred's Hens

You're the biggest thing around so yes, they'll squat for you too!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by