Dumor Layer feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jerrydude, Sep 10, 2010.

1. jerrydude

jerrydude Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    is it bad to feed hens layer feed? i've had purina and dumor feed. I let them range when I can on our acre lot but i worry about predators getting them when i'm not home.

2. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    I like the 24% Dumor chick feed. Everything on my place gets that from hens to chicks. I feel they need that extra protein. I feed osyter shells on the side
  3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not understanding... what could be "bad" about feeding layer feed? [​IMG]
  4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicks should not have the layer feed because it contains extra calcium for the layers. It can damage their kidneys.

I'm using Turkey/Gamebird feed (24% protein) mixed with BOSS and offer oyster shell/eggshells in a tuna can screwed to the wall for those who need it.
  5. jerrydude

jerrydude Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    I just read on here earlier today something about how layer feed is bad etc. I feed mine veggies from the garden, let them range and then also the layer feed. got two eggs so far. we've got 5 hens and are anxiously awaiting many more:)
  6. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    Usually, you feed chick starter for the first 6 weeks (often ~ but not always ~ medicated), then switch to grower (higher protein base) and then to layer (has calcium for egg production and less protein) when they are about 20 weeks old. Chicks and meat chickens do not get layer as it has calcium in it (as mentioned above can damage the kidneys)
  7. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on the eggs! [​IMG]

I got a broken softshell today so gotta be sure I have plenty of oyster shell available! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by