Dumor Layer

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AmandaVirginia, Feb 1, 2015.

1. AmandaVirginia

AmandaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2015
    Clanton, Alabama
    My female Grey Call will be 6 months old on the 7th of February. I have 3 Call Ducks - a Grey pair and a male Snowy. They're my first ducks. Will she only lay if I start her on the Dumor Layer? And also, is it okay if my males eat the Dumor Layer as well? Any info about Spring mating season and laying is appreciated!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    In general, it is advised to get a maintenance feed and set out free choice oyster shell for the females to eat to add their calcium. However, some of us do feed our whole flock on layer. It is something each of us has to sort out from all the information. I have been told it is not good for drake's kidneys to eat layer, but the research on that is, to my knowledge, limited.

Ducks will start to lay regardless of the type of feed, but they will have serious health problems without enough calcium when they start to lay. They could get egg bound or even have heart problems.

1 person likes this.
  3. Richb353

Richb353 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome,
    I've been feeding my flock either Dumor or Purena Layer crumbles then pellets since they arrived from the farm. First because it was on sale, and second because it was my first time around and I did not know any better. In my own defense, Layer blends are high in protein which is what I was looking for. Have never had any problems and my Cayugas and Welsh Harlequin inhale the stuff!
    Enjoy,
    Rich

4. AmandaVirginia

Jan 24, 2015
    Clanton, Alabama
    @Richb353 so, you feed both your female & male ducks Dumor Layer Crumbles?

5. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I would NOT recommend Dumor brand. It's the cheap brand made by Puriena and its very very poor quality. I had ducks lose weight like crazy on this and they didn't gain it back until I switched feeds. It also caused less egg laying.

Spend a little more and get a good, higher quality brand. It's well worth it!

And yes, you can feed males and females layer pellets.

6. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    So what brand would you recommend? I bought Dumor at Tractor Supply because that's what was available.

7. AmandaVirginia

Jan 24, 2015
    Clanton, Alabama
    @learycow really? Dumor is all my ducks have ever known. They're beautiful and perfectly proportioned. Not too plump or too frail, they honestly look great. I started them out on the Dumor Starter/Grower and now they're on the Dumor Grower/Finisher. They will be 6 months old on Saturday. They really couldn't look better. Lol, they're stunners (;

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  8. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I buy blue seal or poulin grain

Feeding strictly DuMor I had leg issues, small birds that didn't grow properly, and weakness. Literally 1 week after I stopped feeding it and started a better brand I saw improvements in my birds

9. AmandaVirginia

Jan 24, 2015
    Clanton, Alabama
    It's a great brand in my opinion. I've never had any problems with it whatsoever and it's all that my Calls have ever known.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by