1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dumor or Blue Seal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Beau coop, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Are either one of these brands better than the other? One certainly more expensive than the other.

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Blue Seal is a very high quality feed-don't know much about Dumor.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Blue Seal is the best. Used it for 20 years on my horses before we moved south and can't get it here.

4. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i agree you cant beat blueseal feed good prices too.

5. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Bought Blue Seal. Will start the bag today and see what the girls think.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Did I mention that my horse lived for 37 years? No joke. Always on Blue Seal

7. Brown Egg Project

Brown Egg Project Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I am a newbie however I do have some stats on Dumor. 16 - day old chicks started June 24th 2008 on Dumor Chick Starter. The same 16 today on Dumor Layer Crumbles are doing great. These are buff orps so they are a larger, hardier breed and I have had no losses and no meds or medicated feed have been used (only Dumor Feed). I am presently giving 16% layer crumbles with a cup and a half of scratch before they roost. Happy, healthy pullets with 6 to 7 laying daily. Also it must be noted my wife complains about the shells being much harder compared to the store bought. I do not give any oyster shell or additional calcium. I have not used the other brand mentioned in this thread however I have had great success with the Dumor and scratch treats for my pullets.[​IMG]

8. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Hmmm..... I 'll have to see what their shells are like on the blue seal.

9. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I don't like Dumor feed. When I switched my layers to Homestead brand feed I found that their poop didn't smell nearly as much, they pooped considerably less, and they also ate less overall though they were very excited about chowing down on the new feed and flocked to it every time I came in with a fresh bucket.

10. Brown Egg Project

Brown Egg Project Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I've never tried another brand as I stated in my earlier post however I've not noticed the problems that Andora has had. Could be different management styles?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by