Dumor Poultry Feed???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Burns Homestead, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Burns Homestead

Burns Homestead Previously chicken-n-worms

Apr 14, 2014
    Hornbrook, California
    I have been using Purina feed for my flock and I love it but TSC had a sale on Dumor for $12.99 This month so I stocked up on it 20 50 lb bags I have noticed a huge difference.

1st... Some of my eggs are coming out deformed looking. (never had that happen before)
    2nd ...Shells are getting way thinner.
    3rd... They don't seem to like it or eat as much as they did before they all stand at the gate like "what the H*** is this!"
    4th... Their poo smells very acidic where before it didn't.
    5th ... I also went from 120 eggs to around 85 Its has gotten very hot here so Im not blaming that on the feed.

Anyone else notice this? I think I have waisted my money on what I thought was a good sale [​IMG]

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If they are free range and are not eating the feed then the lower calcium could cause the thin shells and may have a hand in the deformation. I usually mix the old feed in with the new when they are switched. It doesn't stop their looking for their old food, but at least they know the new feed is eatable. Different feeds have different ingredients and in varying amounts, different ingredients can cause poop to change like that. A bargain as you are finding out isn't a bargain if it does not do what you what it to do. Testing the water is always a good idea before committing to the dive. Did you try mixing the old with the new to get them to eat it?

3. Burns Homestead

Apr 14, 2014
    Hornbrook, California
    Yes as I still had 5 bags left of the purina and mixed it at first They are free ranged but I have never had problems with thin shell or deformed eggs before I have been raising chickens for 15 years now almost 16 at first I was feeding Ace Hi until we finally have a TSC here about 6 months ago then I went to purina layettes and starter for chicks This is the first time they have ever left food each coop gets 15 lbs of feed a day before they ate all of it and wanted more now they are not eating even a quarter of it I did call and they said I could take in the remaining bags and get the normal feed so that will work

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Good that they will take it back.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place True BYC Addict

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I feed Purina, and when I tried the "sale" feed, things did not go well. I also tried the local feed mill feed, once. Never again! Maybe it wasn't the feed, but maybe it was... Purina chicken feeds have worked well for me for 20+ years. Mary

6. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    Dumor is Purina....its just cheaper stuff thats bagged up for TSC under their store brand which is Dumor

i have never used any of the Dumor poultry feeds so i cant comment on quality or anything but just wanted to say that Dumor is purina just cheaper stuff and bagged up for TSC

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  7. Burns Homestead

Apr 14, 2014
    Hornbrook, California
    There is a huge difference maybe it is purina I have read that somewhere else also... I switched back to purina after taking back the bags yesterday all the chickens where so happy they were fighting over the food so I had to give extra feed in other feed buckets this morning I also noticed there is a huge smell difference and weight difference in the pellets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by