duMor starter/grower feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by quetsweyo, May 20, 2011.

1. quetsweyo

quetsweyo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] hello, i switched my chicks from an expensive 5lb bag of fancy starter food to a 20lb bag of dumor starter mix and they looked at me like i pooped in their dish. really dont like it. ground them up some cracked corn and rolled oats until i can get more of that fancy food...if i mix the fancy in with the dumor do you think they will eventually get used to it? i dont have a car and have a long haul to the feed store, tsc, from the bus stop. one day they were wild about worms the next day couldnt care less. funny, funny babys. how about whole wheat bread, or granola? whill but them anything they want when i get my ss check, until then im going to have to scrounge. canned peas and corn, green beans? garbanzo beas mashed up? read here that they like yogurt, got some of that w/strawberries in it. [​IMG] i forsee a real mess in my future! and how about dandelion greens, lambs quarters, plantains, and other yard greens? i have a hard time looking up stuff on my mobile phone on byc in the evening or id cruise that...it goes all blackscreen and then comes back up froaen-dead and have to take the battery out and start over. its a joy! [​IMG] thanks for any advice , ill be trying to look for any replies tonight, thanks quetz

2. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Try mixing it with some fruit juice and just give enough to last an hour or 2. Then let the dry stay in there. They will eat it.

Giving them other things will throw off the balance of what they need to grow properly.

3. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

There must be a great deal of difference in the "fancy" chick starter and TSC's for them to not even try it. I would mix the two feeds and offer it to them, once they are hungry they will probably go for it. My chicks always like boiled egg yolks as a treat, protein is good for them too. I feed TSC starter and they will first pick all the yolk out but end up eating the chick starter when the yolk is gone. I think that they are more attracted to the bright color of egg yolk. I have found also that when really hungry they are less picky about what they eat.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You have to hold your ground. Chicks are a lot like spoiled kids, in many ways. Whenever you change their feed, they do this, "I'm not eating that!" thing.
    They will not starve themselves, I assure you. If you don't cave, by day two or three, it's their new favorite food. DuMor is nothing but Purina.

5. scottfarm

scottfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    MILL CREEK, WV
    they sound a little picky. i would just put some in feeder and i think when they get hungry they will eat.

6. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I feed the 24% DuMor, my chicks do great on it, they gro fast, and when I pick them up they are very full and heavy. Mix the 2 feeds together to begin with and they will eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by