Dumour or Purina?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SamG347, Mar 3, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Which do you guys feed and how do you feel about either? I feed dumour right now but I can get some Layena Sunfresh for just 20 cents more. I know both feeds are made by Purina but is Layena any better than Dumour 16%? And is Purina Layena considered organic?
    Thanks everyone!
    [​IMG]

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I prefer the Purina Game Chow-Layena over the Sunfresh varieties. It is more expensive, but the protein is 20% in the Gmae Chow Layena and its protein is derived from both animal & plant. If you breed birds & are saving eggs for hatching, some animal protein is better for fertility than the regular Sunfresh Layena that has only plant protein. This has been the general concensus. [Since the scare of MadCow disease, Purina began making their general feed solely of plant proteins. Breeders noticed a severe decline in fertility and feather plummage health immediately.]

You do have to be careful if you use the Purina Game Chow-Startena (30%) because it may or may not be medicated (I hear they make it medicated but I have not been able to find it & I have asked my fedstore to order it to no avail). I am planning on adding amprolium to their water instead (and have it ordered).

If you look at Purina's Sunfresh "Flock Raiser", it is 20% protein but has ONLY plant protein. If your birds free range and eat bugs & you supplement with oyster shell (I supplement even when mine are on a Layena feed), then you do not have to worry about the source of protein and % calcium. I found the "Flock Raiser" was otherwise, generally, a good feed.

I like the higher protein %. IMHO, below 18% protein is unacceptable.

To my knowledge, none of the Purina feed is "organic."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by