dumped a bunch of leaves in the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by backdoorchicken, Dec 2, 2009.

1. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    and omg they love it.

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I did this for my Guineas the other day and they dug through them for hours!

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I put a handful of straw in the quail cage and they act like it is the best present ever! LOL

Birds are easy to amuse.

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    I as well give them some leaves for play time. They poke around among them for hours, looking for bugs, and caterpillars. After a day or so, I rake them up and move them to the garden or compost, as I don't want my run becoming one big compost pile..[​IMG]

5. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    I have leaves bagged up for the winter they are very dry, it is what I use int he coop and the run it keeps them entertained for hours when I dump a fresh batch in, cheaper than shavings and straw.

6. MHF

MHF Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Quote:And all this time I thought it was the chicken owners that are easy to amuse [​IMG]

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I throw grass clippings a half-bushel or more at a time in to their run and they jump on them and eat them. I also toss in garden waste and strawberry leaves/stalks which they also eat. There are some weeds that I periodically dig up from shrub beds that they love and love dandelions too. They really love bell-pepper leaves. When I throw the stalks in, the leaves disappear like in time-lapse photography. Leaves from two young oak trees have collected in the lowest corner of the run and they take turns either bedding down in them for a sun nap or rooting thru them for whatever they can find. I am going out there shortly to stake a head of cabbage to the ground for them to peck at and eat. They love their greens and have had them from day 1 when they came to us in a tiny box. Have never fed them store-bought feed only, but have always supplemented with live raw greens.

9. Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt New Egg

Jun 18, 2009
    South Jersey
    I empty a couple bags of my grass clippings into the run each mowing. The chickens come running to greet me at the gate when I approach. No worries about grass composting...It doesn't last that long.

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Just like us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by