Dumped animals- I'm not a shelter!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BantyHugger, Feb 7, 2009.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Since we have moved out to the country EVERY year at least one animal is dumped on our property. Normally its cats but this year it appears to be a pure bred labrador puppy. We have managed to find it a new home, but i'm scared. Is there something wrong with her? She seems like a nice loving little pup. She eats well and walks well on a lease (Amazing!). She doesn't even have worms.

And does anyone know how to STOP the dumpings? Our friends can't keep taking animals either. Its not like my yard is the best kept thing on the block. Last growing season i think i mowed the lawn a total of 4 times (the lawn mower keeps breaking) so its still pretty over grown. We're surrounded by at about 15 other 1 acre lots. What makes mine so special? *sigh* I work hard to take care of out animals, i don't want to take care every other infant born in the DFW area that can't find a home. How can i let my neighbors know i'm Not a shelter!

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Put a sign up that says "This is not a dump shelter" [​IMG]

Atleast you were able to find the puppy a food home [​IMG]

ETA: I must of been thinking of food [​IMG] I meant good home [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  3. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Put up a sign that states: This property is Monitored by a security camera.
    Maybe people will think twice before dumping on your property.

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

4 kittens last year, 2 this year. Lovely friendly animals, they obviously had a lot of human interaction before some pathetic human slowed down and tossed them out in my yard! We've kept them all.

5. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    The securiety camera sign sounds like a good idea, you could also put up a sign stating that dumped animals will immediately be takin to the vet and put down (or shot). I think for alot it's out of sight and out of mind, they tell themselves someone will take pity on them and give them a good home, if they think they will be destroyed maybe they'll think twice! (although this could make some animal loving neighbors upset, on the other hand, they may offer to take any dumpies just to keep them from being killed, problem solved!)

6. Eliza

Eliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    Lisbon, CT
    with the economy tanking, we will all probably see more and more of this. It's irritating, but frankly, we just deal with it because I'd rather be involved in the outcome then push someone who can't keep their pet to dump it in the woods... Many shelters can't take any more animals. It would be nice if all breeders took a two year moratorium on breeding any pets. It would give the shelters a break as well - they find it hard if not impossible to compete with them... don't even get me started on pet stores...

7. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:We've gotten 5 kittens (not counting the ones we believe have just been born under our house by someone else's cat) just this year. Then we have 1 from last summer who came with litter and food. The year before that we rescued a kitten when we saw a driver throw her and all her litter mates out a window while speeding down the high way. They've all been socialized so their not just strays. This is our first puppy. We already have several dogs, one of which i got from a person just 2 streets over.
    However, we have reached maximum capacity. I think i'm gonna try a sign. The camera thing wouldn't work since we don't have many well positioned trees so its pretty much impossible to hide a camera any where.

8. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    You can get "Fake" security cameras on the internet (a couple "AA" Batteries makes the red light blink and it turns)
    Mount it on a fence-post...
    the cost (about $20 with the post) is worth the peace of mind!

9. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Having grown up in the country, city folks think you are a dumpster for ANYTHING unwanted. We have dogs and cats dumped all the time. There is no way to stop it.

10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    When I was a kid we would get dogs all the time. Usually we kept them, my grandpa and dad were softees for animals. One time we had 6 eating out of hub caps on the front yard. I remember one when my son was young that had arrived next door (1/2 mile) at my cousins, my dad offered to take it. THe next day it lunged at my son who was maybe 5 at the time, my grams schnauzer got him and chased him off and that dog we got rid of. My son had to get stitches below his eye. If its a small town could you place notices at local stores, etc that animals abandoned on your property will be put down and anyone caught dumping will be prosecuted. You could also mention your place is under video surveilance. All good ideas here but its hard to stop.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by