dumped bird

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stumble_n_mumble, Nov 9, 2009.

1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    someone dumped these two pullets on my property. they cut the beaks off. i think they are red sex links. or rhode island red mixes. there not pure i dont think. let me know what all of you think!
    [​IMG]

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Factory birds?

Bless you for taking them. Hope you quarantined. [​IMG]

3. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    im not sure what happened to them! yes they are quarantined far from my birds lol. they seem great just curious on the breed

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    OMG those poor things!! Thank you for taking them in!! I think they are too light to be RIR, maybe production reds??

5. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    I hate it when people ditch animals they decide they don't want anymore. Good job for taking them in! -claps- [​IMG]

They look like golden comets or red sex links (which essentially golden comets are..) to me, but I don't know my production birds very well. Either way, congrats!

6. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    From what I can see, I'm going to guess some sort of Red or Gold Sex-Link. If so – those 'throwaways' might become some of your best layers – and it looks like they're just about to start, if they haven't already! [​IMG] Thank you for taking care of them!

7. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    Lucky you! My best layers are red sex links and are the sweetest, love to sit in your lap and snuggle. Wish someone would dump some birds in my yard!!

8. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    hah they really are great birds. friendly and well be great for eggs [​IMG]

9. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    Ha.....I always wondered why some of the chickens beaks looked like that!!! I see alot of them like that at auctions. Do they actually cut them off, or are they born that way??? Or are they just that mis-treated?

10. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    That makes me so sad to see that! Thank you for taking them in. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by