Dumped Chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BethsFlock, Jun 21, 2016.

1. BethsFlock

BethsFlock Just Hatched

May 21, 2016
    San Diego, Ca
    I adopted 5 abandoned chicks a couple months ago. 2 are most certainly roosters and are getting aggressive. 2 are definitely hens, but one had deformed legs and had to be culled last weekend. There is one, though, that has a more prominent comb, like the other 2 roosters, but no wattles yet, unlike the other 2 Roos. Its also not aggressive. Any idea if it's a roo or a pullet? I'm guessing roo, but I'm hoping pullet. Also any guess as to the breed? Thanks!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    it's a roo as far as breed looks like they are mix of Ameracuana or easter egger and something else.

3. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Anyone whom adopts abandoned poultry is a hero in my book. That being said, aggressiveness in chickens is often genetic and you should not subject other birds to living with bullies. They definitely appear to be mix breeds. Hard to say for sure with just the one picture. Best wishes.

4. BethsFlock

BethsFlock Just Hatched

May 21, 2016
    San Diego, Ca
    Thanks! I was thinking Ameracuana mix as well! The mom was a smaller sized all black bird, I can't remember what the comb looked like.

A neighbor abandoned a hen and a brood of 13 or so chicks. The night I realized they had been dumped, before I had a chance to take them in, the mom and most of the chicks were eaten by a coyote. I managed to find 5 of the chicks still alive.

We've wanted chickens for a while, so this just pushed us to build a coop. I already took care of the mean roosters, hopefully this third stays nice so we can keep him to hang with the ladies. Of course after all this we only ended up with 1 hen! Guess we're headed to the feed store this weekend for a few more chicks :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by