Dumped cockerel/rooster /How do we catch it?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Well, you could ask if he wants the rooster there, or if he would like you to try and catch it.
I just plan on catching it to find a good home.
We live in the city and we've only kept Bantam cockerels/roosters using no-crow collars that I figured out how to put on correctly.
Since this cockerel/rooster that got dumped is a bigger breed, I don't want it.

Liz Birdlover

Crowing
Jan 6, 2018
Delaware, USA
Someone dumped a rooster in my local town and it was crowing, annoying everyone for a week. Many had chased & tried to catch him, without success. I showed up with my own rooster in a carrier, asked the people if I could go in their backyard to catch the Vagabond rooster, (I named him Vagabond Lol) they said sure & watched on. I took my own rooster out of the carrier, set him down about 15 feet from the other roo, and both roosters stood staring & started bobbing and weaving. While Roo eyeballs were fixed on eachother, before any jumping or spurring, it was easy for me to just reach down and pick up the stray rooster and put him in a carrier, then pick up my own rooster and put him back in his carrier. The whole thing took 2 minutes.

6BeachChicks

🎄 Merry Christmas 🎄
Premium Feather Member
Aug 30, 2021
Someone dumped a rooster in my local town and it was crowing, annoying everyone for a week. Many had chased & tried to catch him, without success. I showed up with my own rooster in a carrier, asked the people if I could go in their backyard to catch the Vagabond rooster, (I named him Vagabond Lol) they said sure & watched on. I took my own rooster out of the carrier, set him down about 15 feet from the other roo, and both roosters stood staring & started bobbing and weaving. While Roo eyeballs were fixed on eachother, before any jumping or spurring, it was easy for me to just reach down and pick up the stray rooster and put him in a carrier, then pick up my own rooster and put him back in his carrier. The whole thing took 2 minutes.
I love that! Your neighbors must have been shocked. Good Job!

Liz Birdlover

Crowing
Jan 6, 2018
Delaware, USA
I love that! Your neighbors must have been shocked. Good Job!
They were. All mouths were hanging open Lol.
Even I didn't expect it to go that well, and had a large fishing net handy, just in case. I have several roosters of my own, & my Rocky has always been ornery so I'm already used to catching a rooster or 2 mid-air with intent to jump and spur, & I thought that's what I might end up doing, but they were so absorbed in the Staring Bobbing & Weaving contest, with neck feathers all puffed up, I just reached right in, no problem. So yes the best way to catch a rooster, is with another rooster! 😆

6BeachChicks

🎄 Merry Christmas 🎄
Premium Feather Member
Aug 30, 2021
They were. All mouths were hanging open Lol.
Even I didn't expect it to go that well, and had a large fishing net handy, just in case. I have several roosters of my own, & my Rocky has always been ornery so I'm already used to catching a rooster or 2 mid-air with intent to jump and spur, & I thought that's what I might end up doing, but they were so absorbed in the Staring Bobbing & Weaving contest, with neck feathers all puffed up, I just reached right in, no problem. So yes the best way to catch a rooster, is with another rooster! 😆
That’s so funny!

Top Bottom