Dumped dog--I hate people!!!!

Kansaseq

Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NE Kansas
On my way to town Friday, I noticed a loose dog running down my street. That's not uncommon, as I live way out in the country, and most people allow their dogs to roam, but this guy wasn't farmiliar to me. Friday he was up the road; today he's wandering my front 40. All I can tell is that it's a chocolate lab or mix, on the move, panting and somewhat nervous. At first I was irritated, but after I realized he's probably been dumped, I'm worried. It's hot out there already. Poor thing is probably so thirsty, hungry, tired, and scared.
I went in and brought out a big bowl of water, but he took off. Not even sure what I'll do him if I can catch him, but wandering around out in this heat is going to kill him. So even though someone else weaseled out on their responsibility, now I'M the one worried about him.
This is probably the 7th dog someone has dumped, (that I know of) just on my street, in the last 5 years. People suck!
somad.gif

Quote:
Sorry to say that I agree... a LOT of people do suck.
rant.gif
Does your area have animal control or an animal shelter? I would be like you, trying to feed/water the poor guy, and then worrying about what happens to him...
sad.png

No. We have a makeshift shelter at the dump in town (like I said, I'm WAY out in the country), but was told it was just for dogs found in town. Very helpful. It will probably be (another)situation where I take him in, get him fixed up, and find him a home. I placed the last one with my brother in another state.
lol.png

Yeah...the little town I lived in last had animal control as part of the town dump as well...I guess that's more common than I thought
idunno.gif
That's very kind of you to take that on, because animal care isn't cheap. Maybe he is lost, and not dumped?
fl.gif
I guess if he shows up over the next week or so you'll know...

I always wondered about the dump/shelter thing, too.
Just saw him again, right under my window. When I called to him,he took off, course my dogs started barking. Hope he finds the water. Sigh. I have to get back to bed as I work tonight. Hope he's ok.

Too many people around for jerks to dump dogs here... but they do get out.

Ala the neighbors three who chews through their West fence (owned by their West neighbors) and roamed the streets for four HOURS before enforcement showed up... we came home from Arkansas to several neighbors in their yards, etc. A couple had offered treats, but not one had thought to offer a bowl of water. Particularly a shock since many have dogs themselves, and knew just exactly how long they'd been wandering. True it wasn't June/July/August so it wasn't full on Texas Summer 100+ yet... and being evening... only 80's-90's... but still it was the first thing I thought of, before knowing the time. Easy enough to grab a bowl and fill it up... poor things drained it in minutes, refilled and they nearly drained that one!

Not too thrilled with these dogs, as they'd been trying (still are) to chew through the East fence, which IS our side... but the neighbors own the fence... I asked CE what I could do... nothing. They rent their house, as we do, but I have no idea who manages it so no way to let them know their tenants are destroying the fence... CE basically told me since it isn't our fence we just have to wait until they get through... THEN we can call them... of course, my whole point is trying to prevent them getting through. *eyeroll*

ANYWHO, we were all rather peeved because in the 4+ hours they were loose no one from their house was home/willing to answer the door. One of the cars was there... but no answer. Pretty peeved about that, and it was accidental. Can't imagine what I'd do to a jerk who purposely dumped an animal.

It's not THAT hard... go to shelter... or rescue... or post an ad "free dog"... heck even a ding dong ditch with a note "please love me" on the collar or something... just so that whoever sees him knows he's on his own and then THEY can call someone/offer food & water, etc.

Maddening. And to think these jerks are all around us... with this attitude towards living creatures... and we've no way of picking them out of a crowd... kinda scary to think about really.

Ugh!
somad.gif
Some people need a good
smack.gif
rant.gif

I found some dogs I think had been dumped in the cornfield next to my house once... I managed to catch them, but not until after the had killed my baby rooster and one of my hens!!
th.gif
rant.gif
We drove all around, I think it was somthing like 20 miles in each direction, never found the owners.
hmm.png
So we posted an ad on Craigslist and found them a home. And THAT is why I despise beagles.
somad.gif

I hope you can find him a good home!
fl.gif

We used to have people come out here and dump their unwanted dogs all the time. We haven't seen any in several years, but that's because all the shelters became no-kill and they would take them if you just donated a big bag of food to keep them off the streets.

One year I was leaving for work and right in front of me about a few hundred feet I saw a car stop and I can see a man shove a big dog out the passenger side then he burned rubber speeding out of there because I saw him and he saw me. I couldn't stop, but when I came back the dog was still standing there in the middle of the road waiting for his owner to return. Yeah people suck. I got his license plate so I called the local sheriff. I don't know if they did anything, but I hope he got a fine at least. Animal control came and got the dog.

Before that incident someone threw an Akita over the neighbor's pasture fence. A neighbor saw it. The fence was hot and the guy who owned the pasture was on vacation so for 3 days every neighbor would feed and water the dog as best as we could. The guy across the street ended up keeping her and Maggy still lives there today. From my window I can see her now and her mate a white Sheppard also abandoned here. The man is very well-to-do with a nice country house(everyone else has a typical farm house around here)and he will adopt pretty much anything. He's awesome.
big_smile.png

The 3 year old Black Lab/Pitt Mix I have now was found a mile down the road at about 5 weeks old full of fleas. 5 weeks old and abandoned. There wasn't a neighbor for a mile in each direction and they were all asked if they were missing a puppy. Noone claimed him so I kept him.
cool.png

yeah, I just had a little kitten break INTO my house the other night! I saw it hanging around the coop and figured someone dumped it so I put food out for it (didn't like that because of opossum or coon issues, but still.... ) but then during a rain-storm, I went downstairs to check on the basement, and there she was inside! She tore a hole in the screen, (our house is built into a hill so it's a walk out basement).

I have two young male kittens in the house, with appointments for getting fixed next month, and really didn't need this!!! But what do I do? She'd get put down at the county shelter, and I have the room and food and affection enough for her... the $$$ to have a female to spay now too though is whole 'nother issue!

Oh well, I took her in since she's a fleabag and has a huge belly from lack of food but full of worms, (too young to be preggers, don't worry, vet agrees!), and she will barely leave my side now! She's sweet and shy and lovable and the boys have taken her under their wing too... they're just over 5 months old, she's probably not quite 4 months old. I HATE people who don't take care of their obligations then dump the results onto others!!! If you can't spay or neuter them, keep track of them till you can!!! No, this isn't aimed at you all here, just a rant which I had to get out of my system. *sigh* thanks for listening.

The people who left 7 two week old puppies under our house when we moved in got us the best dog in the world. I wouldn't trade Scooter for anything, and we found homes for the other pups. Three ended up at different tow yards (Ken's job).

14951_img_2063.jpg

Back
Top Bottom