Dumped domestic drakes?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BornToQuack, May 13, 2019.

1. BornToQuack

BornToQuack Songster

Jul 11, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    20190513_112840.jpg 20190513_112816.jpg 20190513_112752.jpg

Raenh and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

That are gorgeous! Are considering bringing them home?

3. BornToQuack

BornToQuack Songster

Jul 11, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    My family saw the drakes above at a local garden with an extensive waterway and a wide variety of wild waterfowl. I think the first one is a Cayuga drake, but not sure about the other two. Thoughts?

Raenh likes this.
  4. BornToQuack

BornToQuack Songster

Jul 11, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    I'd love to, but I'm not sure we have enough space to take three drakes. :( The one that looks like a Cayuga is very tempting, though.

If we had enough land, I'd love to open a rescue called "Lost Boys Duck Rescue." It'd specialize in rescuing dumped and unwanted domestic drakes.

Waskoneto, Raenh and bluemerle like this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Nope not Cayuga they are black with green iridescent green on the feathers. The lower two not sure but the one on the left may not even be a drake. I think maybe mixes
    @MagpieDucks

DuckyDonna, Raenh, sourland and 2 others like this.
  6. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Beware of the MAN-GOOSE

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Yep, probably just mixes. The one on the right in the second photo might be a pure Mallard or Rouen.

Raenh, Miss Lydia and BornToQuack like this.
  7. BornToQuack

BornToQuack Songster

Jul 11, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    Yes, the one on the right in the second photo is a pure Mallard. I was just trying to show the size comparison.

Raenh, Miss Lydia and MagpieDucks like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

They are lovely ducks So sad when they get dumped like garbage. :(

9. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    I am very surprised by how many people think domestic ducks can fly. Even people who were raised on a farm think all domestic ducks fly. So dropping them off with wild ducks they should just fly away, Right?

Think I saw a Rouen drake the other day in a waterlogged field but by the time I was able to get back to look for it he was gone. Was way too big to be a mallard.

10. BornToQuack

BornToQuack Songster

Jul 11, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    Do you guys think I should try finding a local rescue organization to catch them? As much as I'd love to expand our flock, we just can't take in any new ducks at the moment.

Likewise, the gardens they're at is HUGE, with a lot of connecting waterways, so catching them would definitely require a professional (not to mention someone with authority to convince the staff/volunteers/visitors that these ducks need to be "saved.") This place looks like a duck/goose haven, so most people will have a hard time understanding why domestic fowl shouldn't be there.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: