Dumped Muscovies!!! **Update Pg2**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

So we stopped by the local "duck park" tonight, just to see how things were with the 'residents' and see if anyone needed to go home with us [​IMG] (injured or sick). Beforehand, we stopped at the feed store just up the road and picked up a bag of feed and a small bag of scratch for all the ducks, they're always so hungry and it's been getting pretty cold here (plus it was pouring all day).

As soon as we pulled in I saw a Muscovy waddling across the path to a puddle for water.. well being the Muscovy Lover that I am, I was Immediately angry that someone would even dump one! We got out and mixed the feed & scratch up and walked down towards the pond. Of course, as soon as we got down there here comes the Scovy Drake, as sweet as can be, nibbling me and begging for food! I dropped multiple piled on the ground so everyone could get some... there's just so many birds there [​IMG]

The Scovy Drake kept coming back to me to be hand fed and i just said, "you're coming home with me Today buddy."... I really couldnt believe someone had dumped this sweetheart! Not even a minute later guess what pops up??? Another Scovy boy!! And just as sweet as the first one!!! [​IMG] "and you too pretty boy!"...

I fed everyone some more and let them get some drinks. We found some boxes and then I gently scooped up #1 and he didn't even fuss! He just seemed so happy to have the attention and be held. He went in the box easily too. I went back for #2 and he was just a doll! I picked him up under his tummy and wrapped my hand around his feet and he settled right into my arms [​IMG] Well on the way to the car with #2 we spotted ANOTHER boy sitting next to a tree..? It was odd that he didn't come eat but I went back and scooped him up in my sweater (also a sweetheart!) and after we got back to the car I realized that his poor feet were just Ice Cubes! his caruncles were also a bit pale too...

These HAD to be someones pets, there's just no doubt about it. I cannot believe that they could just dump them off like this. I think that maybe #3 may be having a hard time dealing with the cold weather... especially considering that they probably had a warm coop before. I just dont understand people!

I was also FINALLY able to snatch up the Pekin hen that I have been trying to catch all year! She was bloody all spring/summer from all the boys and she is REALLY skinny now. She was not happy about being caught but she was very happy to see the geese after we got home. I will be finding her a new home soon since i only have Muscovies here.

I just had to vent! I will get pictures up tomorrow for everyone! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Awww, how sweet of you to take them!! I would've done the same thing. [​IMG] This summer we visited DH's grandma at a rehab center while she was healing from an injury and we saw a pekin and a runner by their pond with some wild ducks. I went in and found out that they belong to the nursing home. I was ready to take them home with me, I thought someone had dumped them there!
    I am so sick of people dumping off their pets to fend for themselves, it makes me soooo mad!!! How can people do that? Since they obviously don't care about animals they should've never gotten them in the first place.

3. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    [​IMG]

4. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    It flaws me how some people can be so heartless and cold. At least they have a nice home now.

5. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    [​IMG] awe Bleenie! you are so sweet!! i don't get how people dump their ducks. it's so sad. they seem so nice too. i'm glad they have a nice loving home to go to!!

6. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Bleenie. I just love you![​IMG] I sure wish they were more people like you in this world. [​IMG]

7. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    This is why I'm glad amends have been made to the regulations. Still means I can own my muscovies and breed/raise them, but people who buy pet ducks on a whim with no forethought are discouraged.

I see this kind of treatment with ALL animals. Makes me sick. [​IMG]

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm so glad you did this, I would have, too if I could.

We have a lone Muscovy duck at our lake right now that is a total sweetheart. He may have been someone's pet, too. I worry about him all the time because of his friendliness and the fact that he's mostly blind now. But, he's lived there for a very, very, very long time and I think a lot of people would have been upset if anyone took him. I know someone mentioned taking him to another pond with a more Muscovies which would have been fine with me, but I would miss him.

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The Boys:
    [​IMG]

This is the boy that worries me a little.. he acts Old? very odd, but he's always more set back and off by himself, like my friends 14r old Scovy Drake.. very weird. His face has reddened up since yesterday though [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whitehead Boy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black Boy [​IMG] !!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Pekin hen: She's VERY flighty!
    [​IMG]
    The duck house is a mess of straw & feathers from all the broody girls!

10. MrsDuck

MrsDuck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Western WA
    What beautiful birds. I can't believe someone would dump them. Good for you for bringing them home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by