Dumped off Rooster and 2 hens in hay feild :( HELP

ChickenShell-A

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 19, 2008
Swansea MA.
someone dumped off a rooster and 2 hens in the hay feild behind my home a few days ago. i had been tring to feed them and get them to follow me home but that didn't work.

the next day i went to see them and one of the hens had been half eaten. this just made me sick and i knew i had to act fast to save them. i went to the store and bought a large fishing net to see if i could catch them LOL just let me know how out of shape i am! needless to say i didn't catch them.
when my husband saw how upset me and my mother were about the chickens he decided to help. we told him the hen and rooster were now in a tree over our heads fulled with prickers. i told him they wont even come down to eat the food we left them they are so scared.

so he went down with us and cut down the prickers and climbed the tree and got the rooster and i grabed the large tote we had and we got him in! thank god!! so the hen was a little harder to get she finely fell out of the tree and i caught her in the fishing net and we put her in the tote as well.

we took them home and put them in the old chicken coop alone. so now here come the ??????

How long do i leave them in the coop? all of my chickens are pets and free range around my yard. i want to make sure that they will stay with us.

do i have to wait to let them near my chickens they seem to be in good health?

can any one tell me what kind of rooster he is (it is the one in my pic)?

thank you
Chicken Shell-A

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thank you for rescuing these birds.
clap.gif

Drat - so sorry about that poor hen that got eaten - it must have been a horror show for all of them to witness. Because the 2 you rescued have been through a lot - landing near your place who knows how (but probably a traumatic change for them), their freind being attacked and eaten, then being captured by you guys, and now in a strange place, I'm thinking they will need to stay in lockdown for a little while till they realize no one is going to hurt them, that this is the place where yummy food is (they may not be familiar with the food you have - don't know - you may want to offer some variety, along with Avia Charge 2000 or some supplemnt to help with all the recent stresses), and that life is good. Once they do, they will stay put without 'restraint'. How much time - it will depend on the birds and how quickly they warm up to you. It could take weeks.

Do you have an area where they could be separate from your other birds? Best for awhile..........Do you have any roos already?

All the best in getting them acclimated - you are wonderful to help them - without you, they likely all would have been someone's lunch before long.
JJ

Kudos to you for the rescue, lucky chickens. No doubt you've been told to quarantine them, that is a first. No way would I jeopardize the health of my chickens by introducing who knows what. So keep them separate for 30 days (I think that's what Cynthia says anyway). You can use the search function to find threads on any other questions you might have, believe me, they've all been asked at least once, lol!! You really will find loads of help on this forum and good luck with your new family!
smile.png

WOW...what a great rescue! It just makes me angry that people just drop off animals and don't take responsablity for them. Good for you!!!

might be a good idea to keep them apart for maybe 2 weeks.

if you want to keep him so they will go back in the same coop they will need to stay in there a few days,then once they go out they should remember to come back the way they went out.

if you can try to spent alot of time with them especially the rooster.take in some scratch grains and get them to come to you.try to see if he will let you handle him.when you pick him up don't reach over him make sure you reach under and between his legs.

I can't see your picture too well but i'm betting he is an Old Enlish Game (brown breasted red) he probably knows how to protect himself pretty well.(he knew enough to take his hen to a tree surrounded by prickers didn't he) he could make you an awesome rooster to your flock,they are awesome protectors.just make sure you spend alot of time with him and handle him alot.

like i said i can't see your picture well but i'll send a better picture of one up close,let me know if it looks like him.
brownbreabrownredoegstd.jpg
good luck will

Hello and welcome and thanks for saving the ones that you could...that was kind of you.

Looks like a dubbed game to me also...
That area has a lot of Portugese, but they're not noted for being into the "bloodsport that shall not be mentioned".
Quarantine is usually a good 3 weeks to a month.

It's nice to see another BayStater.

thank you all for your help.
they seem to be pretty good today they are eating and drinking well and seem a little calmer.

I realy wish people would try to find unwanted pets a home and not just dump them off some where. it is just not fair to any animal to be dumped off like TRASH! they must have lived pretty close to me so why not make up a few sings with a pic FREE TO GOOD HOME! i would have called and takeing them and the little hen would not have been supper.

WELL THANKS AGAIN GLAD TO SEE WE STILL HAVE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT CARE.

RONDA

Back
Top Bottom