Dumped Roo identification... (Updated with photos!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cointoss, Jun 22, 2009.

1. cointoss

cointoss Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Gaylordsville, CT
    Yesterday we were on our way home from a family party when we saw a woman and her daughters by her car, with a flock of chickens grazing in the dirt lot by a hiking trail. We turned around, thinking maybe she needed, but she was gone when we got there -- and she'd left behind what we believe were about 10 bantam roos, only one of which was a full adult (and gorgeous!) Well, we don't have a rooster right now, and our girls free range so we were happy to wrangle up whoever wanted to come home with us -- but they were so freaked out that even with the lure of goldfish crackers we only managed to catch one. The rest ran into the woods. They seemed to follow the adult, so hopefully this flock of men will enjoy their freedom...

Here are two photos of our new roo:
    [​IMG]
    Here he's craning his neck to look at the camera.

[​IMG]
    And here is his normal stance.

Anyhow -- they were all different breeds, many of them were quite pretty, and I think this one might be a buff brahma? What do you think?

It is about 9 inches tall, and FAT with lightly feathered feet. At this height, am I right that its a juvenile bantam or is it an even younger roo that will grow to full size?

It was one of the friendliest ones, looking for the food, and I directed my husband to focus on catching him after we couldn't get anyone else, since I always heard brahmas are very mellow roos...

For now we have him in a large cat carrier at night in the coop, and free in the run during the day while the other girls free-range, so they can slowly acclimate to each other.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I can't see your picture....

3. cointoss

cointoss Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Gaylordsville, CT
  4. lux_interior

lux_interior Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    me either....

and too bad about someone just dumping all those roosters like that.... If she was gonna be cruel either way, she should have just eaten them! [​IMG]

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Pic didn't load... Hope the others survive okay on their own... Glad you were able to rescue at least one of them, poor things.

ETA: Oops sorry posted as your were fixing the link.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  6. cointoss

cointoss Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Gaylordsville, CT
    Quote:I agree -- especially ours! He feels like he has a lot of meat on him for a little guy.

7. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    He kind of looks like an oegb body style but he has feather feet. He's probably a mutt but pretty

8. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    That looks like an adult OEGB cross hen, those following her probably were chicks she hatched, thats why they followed her.

Maybe they got too much work for the person that dumped them.(esspecially if all of those chicks turned out to be roos, a banty hen of mine managed to hatch 27 roos once.......[​IMG] )

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    pics loaded fine here. any chance you'll go back? when winter comes it's not likely they'll survive is it?

10. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Songster

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I would have quarantined him...
    He's handsome (and, hopefully, healthy).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: