1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dumping Dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GableBabble, Jul 14, 2011.

1. GableBabble

GableBabble Ninja Chicken Herder

May 27, 2010
    People have been dumping dogs here for years. This morning we woke up to a new one. Some yellow mutt that killed 6, wounded our Swedish Blue duck and was after the Mallard when I got outside. People are just mindless. Do they not think about what will happen when they dump these dogs?!? My hubbie is going over to our local news station to talk to them about maybe doing a story on it. I hope they do.
    So tired of loosing birds from this stuff! Mostly everyone stays in pens b/c of it. These where chicks and the Hudini birds that you just cannot keep in. I guess I am off to the store when hubbie gets home to figure out something new to keep everyone safe....
    Heartbroken

2. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    That is so horrible [​IMG] Can you post signs stating something about the birds? But then, if people are dumping their dogs cause they are heartless, I doubt they would care about the birds [​IMG] So sorry...hopefully the news station can help out. [​IMG]

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Obviously people who dump dogs don't care what the outcome for the dog is. If they did, they wouldn't be dumping them in the first place. Along those lines, they also couldn't care less if the dogs kill your birds. Why? Because they don't care! They are selfish people who are feeling inconvenienced or something by the dog and the only thought is to get rid of the problem by the easiest means possible.

4. GableBabble

May 27, 2010
    Hubbie just called. The news has had people call in the past about this same problem in our area and are interested. We will see where this goes. I called the pound. They want me to pay money to have the dog picked up. I am going to try to get Mckamey interested in the dog I guess. Hopefully he survives tonight. He ran behind the barn following the cows out right in the same area the coyotes live. They have a den somewhere back there. Thankfully they never bother my birds, I think our dogs keep them at bay. But sadly since he is a tiny dog, like maybe 7 pounds max, they might think of him as prey.
    I feel bad for him now that I have had time to calm down. He is real skinny, and not real friendly. Have to wonder what his life has been like. Then being dumped into a place where people yell at you and chase you. Yes I chased him and screamed at him. I was very angry.

We have a no dumping sign out, as well as Beware of the dog and no hunting and the like. People just do not care.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  5. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    You might check your state laws. Just recently here in OK, abandonment of an animal like that became felony animal cruelty!

6. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Of course you were angry, that is very understandable. and now maybe he has learned that those particular chickens are off the menu [​IMG] I am glad that the news station is willing to help. The pound should not be telling you to pay that is weird, that is THEIR JOB. Tell the news station about that too... [​IMG]

It really is too bad about the dog, I hate hearing about that stuff and wish I had a large farm to take them all in. Unfortunately we live in a crazy world where animals are not thought of as living creatures (by many, certainly not by all). Hopefully he can find a good home and if not, maybe he will have one last stand with the coyotes and go out as nature intended.

BEST OF LUCK!!

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Do you have any description of the vehicle or person who dumped the dog? If you can get a CLEAR picture of the hound, I'd suggest posting an ad at vets offices, petshops, groomers, etc. asking if anybody recognizes the dog and can come forward with information on who the owner is. Dumping is definite animal cruelty in most places and can be punished with fines and/or jail time.

8. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:Yeah good point.

9. GableBabble

May 27, 2010
    We have no idea what the car or anything looked like. It happened late at night. Liberty our newest dog ( who looks like a small chi x cattledog x rat terrier mix) was dumped while my father in law and Hubbie where standing outside in our driveway. They threw her out the window and sped off. We reported the plate number but I do not think anything ever came of it. She is a great dog, not sure why they "got rid" of her to begin with.
    We live on a couple hundred acres here, and I would love to keep them all. But the reality is that we could not afford it, nor would I be able to spend enough time with them all.

Our pound is pretty nasty here. They wanted to charge me for gas, time, etc. Plus the guy kept acting like it was my dog. Even though I told him it was not.

I will have to check TN state laws. Might look into Hamilton county laws too. Gave me an idea that I could maybe just have a roll of signs printed like out no hunting ones that advise against dumping animals and what the penilty is for it. My hubbie delivers to a sign company and they already print stuff for him at discount rates. (We had to get "slow down! children and chickens at play" signs printed last year. People think that this is a racetrack. They only charged us 2 dollars a sign!)

Thank you for ideas and comments:)

10. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Posting the sign is a great idea.....Even if dumping an animal is only a misdeamor where you are, you could always put "DUMPING AN ANIMAL IS A CRIME!" without being specific about penalties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by