Dumpster Diving, don’t be ashamed..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ThreeBoysChicks, Dec 29, 2007.

1. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    For those of you who are thinking about getting started with building a coop, don’t be afraid to go dumpster diving.

I have decided to build my Silkie Chalet for a couple of Silkies I recently got from Peachick, then I can get more Silkies. I checked with a couple of business and got some really nice wood pallets, which results in a lot of good lumber to use. This will reduce the cost of construction greatly. When I built my first chicken house, much of the lumber was from a renovation project.

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Hi Fellow Marylander I am also Going to try and build my next tractor or a tractor addition out of reycled wood.

Hope to meet you some time I am going to visit Peachick and Pick up An Amerucana Pair and mabe a silkie or a cochin.

Henry

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    We will be using as much salvaged material as possible when we build our bigger coop this spring. My husband spends every Saturday morning at the dump and he is always on the lookout for anything we can use. He is well known there and some of the employees will save certain things for him. They know he teaches Tech Ed, including photography and video as well as classes that involve small engines. He is also a musician. They saved instruments, engines, cameras and all kinds of things. What he can't use he sells on Ebay. Today he came home with a trunk full of video equipment, most of it antiquated but still....
    He built our shed from salvaged barn boards. It's very rustic and looks like it has been there forever. I hope he can find more of something like that for the coop!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Except for the roll roofing and green paint, this coop was made with all salvaged materials from one home building site. I love FREE:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    ALso on craigslist.org if you cant find any like me you can check out the free lumber on there

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I love it!!!

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    We love to scavenge free stuff from job sites. I always find the Job Foreman and ask if there is anything we can have and they've always shown me stuff we could take.

They throw away so much great stuff it's such a shame to have useable material just thrown out like that.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Exactly! They almost always are happy to let you scavenge their burn piles and dumpsters.

9. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    i wish i had of,
    4ea. 2"x4"x8' $10.48
    3ea.1"x3"x8' $5.19
    1ea. 3/4" 4'x8' plywood $21.44
    3ea. 3"angle bracket $5.64
    with tax 46.28
    and thats just for part of the floor. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  10. countryboy