Dun/chocolate and dun sumatras

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrycrazy, Dec 16, 2010.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Alright how do you get this color? i really want to make them but i am not sure were to start. Thanks

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    You have to breed it in, its like blue. Sun Sets West used to have some Dun and Khaki Sumatras but I dont think she has them anymore.

3. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    so you mean like use a chocolate OEGB and breed it to a black sumatra? AHHH i need help!

4. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yeah but theres a difference in Chocolate and Dun. Chocolate is Sexlinked Recessive and is found in very few breeds in the US. Dun, as in the OEGBs, is Incompletely dominant an works like blue. So you could do that, breeding a dun oegb into sumatra and work from there but it would take a while to do.

5. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Is oegb a EE ?

6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

Is oegb a EE ?

No It stands for Old English Game Bantams​

7. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Is there something eaasier to start with instead of an OEGB?

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Not really, not thats available. Maybe if you search really hard you can find someone who still has Khaki or Dun Sumatras to use. Dun patterned Phoenix would be the next thing but you're probably not going to find any of them. Boggy Bottom Bantams has a Khaki Duckwing Phoeinix pullet from Toni-Marie Astins stock but he will be using her to make more dun patterned birds an probably wont have anything from them to sale for a while. So the dun OEs are probably going to be the closest thing you can get in the dun color.

Boggy Bottom Bantams also has Blue Sumatra bantams if you dont have them already.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Uh, far as I recall, our "chocolate" Seramas, etc aren't actually chocolate, that's a hobby name, but instead they're dun. . . .

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

Is oegb a EE ?

No; it is a breed in its own right. Old English Game Bantam. One of the few abbreviations I approve of when referencing chickens.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by