1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"dunked their legs in cooking oil "

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ldemmert, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ldemmert

ldemmert Out Of The Brooder

Why would someone do this to chickens? She was trying to medicate or prevent something, but what?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    maybe mites..

3. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Yep I use that method for scaley leg mites.

4. P@P@2four

P@P@2four Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Port Deposit, MD
    Well I would hope it wasn't hot cooking oil!!!! [​IMG] Chickens can get something called Scaley leg mites...the mites crawl under the scales of the chickens legs and burrow...this causes discomfort and pain for the chicken. So if you seal the entire leg off with oil or vaseline(as I like to use) it seals off the mite, causing it to suffocate. The oil or vaseling also moisturizes that dead flaky skin and the lumps actually fall off after a week or so, revealing fresh(and shiny) chicken skin....[​IMG]

5. ldemmert

ldemmert Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for the info. I'll watch for mites and keep the oil cool.

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    So how often do you dunk them? (or apply vaseline?)

7. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    P@P@2four :

Well I would hope it wasn't hot cooking oil!!!! [​IMG] Chickens can get something called Scaley leg mites...the mites crawl under the scales of the chickens legs and burrow...this causes discomfort and pain for the chicken. So if you seal the entire leg off with oil or vaseline(as I like to use) it seals off the mite, causing it to suffocate. The oil or vaseling also moisturizes that dead flaky skin and the lumps actually fall off after a week or so, revealing fresh(and shiny) chicken skin....[​IMG]

Are you serious ?? why would the oil be hot..​

8. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Well I have dunked their legs in hot cooking oil quite a lot. Of course they weren't alive at the time....Fried chicken yuuuuum. I honestly thought this was going to be a cooking post.

Yes she does it for scaly leg mites. Gee whiz I'm still hungry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by