Dunker for turkeys not holding birds

fauna

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 9, 2012
I bought a Stromberg dunker to help with processing turkeys. ( I have 55 more to do) They are often slipping out. They weigh about 20 lbs. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Stromberg's hasn't responded to my question.

Good morning! I'm sorry, but I don't really have a good answer for you. I saw you had posted this same question a few days ago. I have used a pulley system before. I used a slip knot in a 1/2" double layer woven marine dock line to hold them on by the feet and dunk them into the scald water, but I havent used that method in years.

I consider myself lucky to have the strength to lift a large turkey - at least these days - so I just hold the turkey by the feet and dunk in the scald water. Helps to have the water pot low so you don't have lift too high to get the bird in and out over the edge of the pot.

I could see some issues arising with a purpose-made "dunker" that isn't fastened to a wall or to the ground in some way. The tip factor would be high potentially.

Furthermore, unless you have two or more blocks as pulleys, having only one pulley actually creates a situation where you need to pull harder than the bird weighs because of the friction on the pulley as well as the fact that the line first has to go up to the pulley and then reverse directions and go back down. The only advantage of one pulley is the change in leverage (pulling down rather than lifting up)

Last edited:
Good morning! I'm sorry, but I don't really have a good answer for you. I saw you had posted this same question a few days ago. I have used a pulley system before. I used a slip knot in a 1/2" double layer woven marine dock line to hold them on and dunk them into the scald water, but I havent used that method in years. I consider myself lucky to have the strength to lift a large turkey - at least these days - so I just hold the turkey by the feet and dunk in the scald water. Helps to have the water pot low so. You don't have lift too high to get the bird in and out over the edge of the pot. I could see some issues arising with a purpose-made "dunker" that isn't fastened to a wall or to the ground in some way. The tip factor would be high potentially. Furthermore, unless you have two or more blocks as pulleys, having only one pulley actually creates a situation where you need to pull harder than the bird weighs because of the friction on the pulley as well as the fact that the line first has to go up to the pulley and then reverse directions and go back down.
Screenshot_20211030-060710.png

https://www.strombergschickens.com/...er-shackles-for-scalder?list=Category Listing

I think this is what they have. I didn't even know there was such a thing lol

Back
Top Bottom