1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dunno bt wannano

Discussion in 'Geese' started by glennscheer, Dec 6, 2016.

1. glennscheer

glennscheer Just Hatched

Dec 1, 2016
    Seligman, MO.
    My Domestic Goose hen is laying, and will set for awhile, then will just wander off. As this is my very first goose adventure, I'd like to know if she is likely to hard set, after laying abut 10-12 eggs, or should I just pull the eggs? And, yes, I am aware that there are a great many circumstances, so:
    She is laying inside, and closed at night.
    She has a big nest created.
    Ducks are laying in the same nest.
    The coldest temps are no lower than 25-27, and that is later this week.
    Thanks for the help.
    Glenn Scheer
    [email protected]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd take out the duck eggs unless you want a mixed batch. she will have a hard enough time keeping 10-12 gosling warm if they all hatch. She won't begin to sit continually until she has made up her mind she has enough. Then you could take out the newest eggs or the oldest so she doesn't have so many to care for her first time. A good number this time of year and new mommy would be 4-5. especially with it being this time of year. If she isn't committed by the time your temps get down under freezing inside the area where she is laying the eggs may freeze and won't be any good for hatching anyway.

Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  3. glennscheer

glennscheer Just Hatched

Dec 1, 2016
    Seligman, MO.
    "If she isn't committed by the time your temps get down under freezing inside the area where she is laying the eggs may freeze and won't be any good for hatching anyway" is good information, as we get to serious a serious freeze, tonight. I'll gather them this afternoon, and Thank You Very Much!
    Glenn Scheer

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    More than likely she'll begin laying again in the spring then is the best time for gosling and ducklings..and chicks etc. [​IMG]

Hard to wait but you'll be glad you did when you won't have to worry so much about them. @glennscheer

5. glennscheer

glennscheer Just Hatched

Dec 1, 2016
    Seligman, MO.
    In the past couple of years, my ducks have actually set in late winter after laying all winter starting in late fall. I've never had or allowed to have, chickens set after September, because the weather is too unpredictable, of course. This, however, is my first go-round with geese. While I am old, there are numerous reasons I should take advice from people who are more experienced than I, Thanks for the assistance!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by