.. dunno if in right forum

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by theemon, Sep 13, 2012.

1. theemon

theemon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    ohio
    i keep reading about the deep litter method, whats the "litter" ? juat wood shavings? now about that, local tree trimmers will dump chipped wood at ur house, can i use that, or is certian trees bad?

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Never use cedar shavings because they can be toxic. Some people use them for older chickens, but not chicks. We never use them period.

3. theemon

theemon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    ohio
    why are cedar bad? is it the same reason for hamsters? the breathing thing? or?

4. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Yes, it is bad for their lungs. Cedar shavings emit a chemical known as plicatic acid which can cause asthma in hamsters and can kill chicks.

5. amillecay

amillecay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    My mum bought be some bedding and on accident bought the wrong stuff which had a bit of cedar mixed in, I didn't know anything about this till several people told me it was bad and when I do think back on they were sneezing a lot but that was all.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    For deep litter here I use bales of pine shavings. Just dump them out, kind of scatter it a little but mostly watch the birds scratch through and spread them out for me. Word of caution.....don't dump a big bale right inside your door! You'll have shavings in the door jam and outside all the time. Give that threshold a little space.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    We just use bales of pine shavings, too. We clean out the coop once per year usually, but more often if a storm blows a lot of water inside and things get wet or stinky.

One hint for the door problem--we a removable board that's 8" high across the inside of the bottom of the doorway. It's painted bright orange to help keep people from tripping. That board keeps the shavings in the hen house and doesn't let them spill out the door.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by