DUODERM FOR OPEN INJURIES Young hen attacked by donkey

Hennypen

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
One of my donkeys tore a small chunk of flesh and feathers off of a young hen. I can see muscle. I've read how to treat. This is a fresh wound. Triple antibiotic withOUT pain killer. and wrap.

If I trim the feathers will they bleed?

What's the choice of antibiotic to give her? Amoxicillan? Where do I get it?

Last edited:
Baytril is an antibiotic. it can be given in liquid or in pills. i get it from my vet and keep it here. i recently had to use it for a sick baby chick.

I took my chicken to the vet. And VERY glad I did. Yes it was expensive, BUT the knowlege I gained from one vet visit will help with problems in the future.

I got an antibiotic and give it to her 3x/day for 21 days and a pain killer.

He also told me to put Duoderm patch on her open injury. (available from the local pharmacy behind the counter) It makes these types of injuries heal faster. Expensive, but once you cut the pad to fit.

When I took her in (took a while to find a vet that would see a chicken), she was beginning to get lathergic and wouldn't eat or drink very well. He also gave her fluids under the skin to give her a little jump start.

It all worked beautifully and now she's eating, drinking, pooping just like she's supposed to. She's become a house chicken until everything is healed.

Well worth the money if you can learn what you did. Plus you have a happy chicken to boot.

Back
Top Bottom