Duramyacin-10 Dosage Questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MKingsolver, Jul 7, 2011.

1. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    Hi all, I have a Mottled Java that was showing signs of a respiratory/sinus infection, the area around her eyes was swollen and puffy, and was told to give her Duramyacin ~ 2 tbsp per 1 quart of water for 2 days, then 1 tbsp per quart for 5 days by the lady at the feed store who has quite a lot of chickens. I feel like this is a LOT since some of the forums I've been reading say 3/4 tsp per quart. I'm currently giving them the 3/4 tsp plus a pinch of cherry jello and just want to know which dosage is right, I don't want to overdose them.

Also, I've been giving this to my entire flock just in case [​IMG] Someone also suggested in one of the forums that if the Duramyacin doesn't work that I can move on to Tylan 50? Maybe I should have done this instead but I'm trying to avoid having to give them shots if I don't have to.

I read that they can't have yogurt while on the antibiotics, which is a bummer for them cause they LOVE it. Is there any vitamins that I can add to the water to aid in healing? I would really appreciate any and all ideas, I'm pretty new to this and even now I think I know more than I wanted to know!

Thanks!

2. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    Oh and I forgot to mention the Java is about 6 weeks old so we don't have to worry about eggs!

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    That is way too much, if I remember my dosing correctly. I can't remember if it goes into detail on dosage on the package . . . but I remember giving my hen 1 teaspoon per gallon. Others recommend giving 3/4 teaspoon per gallon. You might try doing a search for Duramycin dosage for bantams, because that's probably more of what she needs being only 6 weeks old. With that kind of infection, you're going to want to do it longer than 5 days. The time mentioned on the package is 7-14 days.

The Tylan 50 is known to work faster against respiratory illness. And it's only a 2 or 3 injection program, too, so it's really not that bad if you want to go that route.

I hadn't heard about the yogurt before. Usually it's recommended at least afterward to restore all the good bacteria. If you're looking for something to put in the water, I've had good luck with a product called "Poultry Nutri-Drench." My hen got really sick after having antibiotics, and this helped keep her metabolism up so she could eat and get better.

Best of luck with her! [​IMG] Keep us posted!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by