Duramycin-10 dosing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momto3, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Momto3

Momto3 Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Ok so I picked up some Duramycin-10 for my chickie babies today. 3 of them have odd looking poop & are pretty sleepy so I am wanting to make sure it isnt Cocci. How much of this do I put in how much water? They are roughly 1wk old.

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Songster

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Im not sure that treating them for something they dont have is a good idea,especially so young. You said the poop looks odd, have you seen poop in it? That is the sure way to know they have Cocci. What kind of food are they on?

I hope someone else will come in with more info.

3. Momto3

Momto3 Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Yes they are pooping in their water, I give them fresh water 2-3x a day. I know that 1 of the chicks poops alot but it is perfectly round & runny. Anothers poop is foamy. Another has firm parts, but very watery around it. They are on sand, I am moving them to pine shavings tonight and I want to add the duramycin to just in case it is Cocci. They are on medicated chick starter Purina brand, it is the only brand the farm store carries that is medicated.

edited to add info

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Songster

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Typo... I meant to write -- have you seen Blood in their poop? Sorry.

If you do a search on Cocci you will get a great deal of info on it! There is also a link on normal looking poop, i will try to find it for you.

5. Momto3

Momto3 Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    No there is no blood in their poop. What would cause loose & foamy poop? I had them on sand and someone I met at the farm store that has had chickens for many years said I should get them off the sand. They might be eating to much of it which is then causing the odd poops as the food they are eating is getting "chewed" to much. So they are now on pine shavings. They have fresh food & water. So we will see how they do the next few days.

6. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Songster

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
  7. Momto3

Momto3 Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:Their poops look like the cecal poop, but it is every poop not every 8-10. They are sleeping right now, I will go check them out when they wake up and eat as that is when they poop the most. Otherwise they are doing pretty good. Eating tiny peices of pine shavings now. They are worse then my 1yr old son. [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Duramycin is not for cocci. Cocci is not a bacteria, it's a protozoan that ravages the intestines and antibiotics will make that damage worse. You would need Corid, which is concentrated Amprolium, if they do indeed have cocci.

9. Momto3

Momto3 Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:Thank you so much, I will not give them any of the Duramycin. I am going to watch their poops now that they are on pine an hope things get better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: