1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duramycin-10 oral preparation?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leihamarie, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    Hi all!

Anyone know what the oral preparation dosage is for duramycin-10? I'm battling a nasty URI here and a couple of the girls are not drinking water on their own. I'd like to give them a few oral doses to kick-start the recovery so (hopefully) they'll drink on their own in the next couple of days.

Should each chicken receive 800mg/ day?

@casportpony or @eggcessive do you know?

2. Sweet Basil

Sweet Basil Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Arkansas, USA
    I contacted the company about it several years ago, and this is what they replied:

"For 400 mg dose of Duramycin 10 you use 1 ½ tsp.(Duramycin 10) to 1 Gallon of Water. We recommend this dose for prevention. If a chicken is sick, we recommend a 800 mg dose which would be 1 Tablespoon to 1 Gallon of water.

You run that as the sole water source for 5 days, then clear water for 7 days and if the symptoms persist you can repeat. Also, if you add a pinch of cherry or strawberry jello there tends to be a better consumption because they are attracted to the color red.
    "

The time I used it for my flock, I mixed it up in an old milk jug and poured it in their water bucket. When I had to bring two extremely sick hens into the house and hand-feed them, I mixed some up in a small cup, put it in some feed, and fed it as a soft mash. I just tried to get it the same color in the cup as it looked in the gallon jug. Not very scientific, I know, but I was able to save all the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by