Duramycin--10

Dave24319

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
South West Va.
I have a few birds sick --from what I'm reading here with *CDR* I'm thinking. I've been giving them the Duramycin-10--TS to a gal of water. They do seem to be getting better,There is 2-3 of them still not up to par yet--But better then they was.

How long can I or Should I give them this and what else maybe can I co to help them get over this?? Most of them are young birds -not a yr old--maybe 6-7months at most. Couple-3 of the BSLinks are starting to lay now. What about the eggs?? Eat or not? If Not I plan to boil them and feed them back to them--This be ok to do??

Thanks for your help!
Dave

Hi Dave. It is not good to use antibiotics unless you know for sure what you are dealing with.

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Quote:
No less than 14 days. You should be giving them probiotics daily during medication. Do NOT give any milk products (like yogurt). You can give them Probios paste or powder from the feed store or acidophilis capsule/tablet contents from the vitamin section of the drug store or Walmart. With a longer dosage antibiotic, it unfortunately takes longer for the improvement to take place. This results in problems with the digestive tract as good bacteria are sadly killed while you treat bad bacteria. So please give probiotics daily during treatment, and every other day for 2 weeks after treatment.

Are you giving a tablespoon or teaspoon to the gallon? (Treatment for that brand and that package if it's 10 grams per 6.4 ounce package is 2-3 teaspoons per gallon.)

DO NOT eat the eggs, indeed feed them back. There's a 14 day withdrawal on antibiotic products.

You should also be supplementing with vitamin A to help respiratory health. Spraying their feed with cod liver oil twice weekly helps tremendously. (It's also great for new layers as it contains vitamin D to help with the calcium absorbtion.) Use a hand-held garden mister and mist it on.

VetRx can also be of great help in facilitating breathing. I would highly recommend it so that you treat to the best effect. Mix equal number of drops of VetRx and very very hot water. Stir to emulsify the oil and cool the mixture to warm. Use q-tips soaked in it. Swab the nostrils of each bird and the roof of their mouth to fume their sinuses, decrease inflammation, and decrease mucus. Use new q-tips for each bird. It's labeled to put in the water, but yo ucan't with antibiotics. Swabbing and using under the eyes helps mine tremendously, makes them comfortable. A bird that can't breathe won't heal.

I hope that your babies continue to heal. Any improvement is a good sign as it points to the possibility of this being the right treatment. That doesn't mean that they won't be carriers, but at least they'll be ill.

If you sell or show birds, it would be good to get one that was sick tested to disprove MG once they're well. It doesn't require a deceased bird. Update THIS thread if you wish to learn more details. If I don't reply within the day, PM or email me in case I got bumped off of the "subscribe to this post".

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the help here!! I'll get the other things I need to help them throu this.. Sad tho to think they carry this now w/them--Thats means if I was to want to add to the flock--the new birds woud get this too??

Bummer!!

Again--Thanks!!!

Dave

It's possible that they would, yes - depending on what it is. I never say "yes for sure" unless I have a culture done to tell what it is for sure.

I have an almost 2 wk old Buff Cochin Bantam. It has been doing this odd clicky sound with every breath for a few days now & occassionally sneezing. There is no discharge or mucous. It is eating and drinking normal. I feed it Nutrena Chick Starter. It isn't medicated. I use plain tap water, but occassionally add ACV. I clean the brooder & feeder, waterer regularly. I use pine shavngs & change it every couple of days, plus add fresh everyday. There is another chick just like it in the brooder with no problems & 2 Australorps the same age with no problems. I still use a heat lamp & the brooder stays in my home. I purchased it a few days old from Orscheln's.
i was told to use Duramycin to treat any respiratory problems, but also read not to. It's obviously not to the laying phase nor do I plan on eating the little gal. My son was going to show it for 4H. The rest of our chickens have never been exposed to the new chicks & we wash our hands after handling.
I am just bombarded with info. Some are saying medicate. Others say prob allergies, humidity, getting food or water in nostrils since it's so little & falls in waterer.
Bottom line is Duramycin the answer or do I wait? It does look to be breathing a bit labored. It's whole body moves with each breath. It hasn't let me look in it's mouth. I don't want to force it since it's very tiny.

Last edited:
Is there an alternative to Duramycin 10? I can't seem to get my hands on any, and I need to do something for my chickens. My rooster (speckled Sussex) has stopped crowing, doesn't eat much, drinks a little, and stays in the coop or under the porch, when he comes out of the coop. He sleeps a lot, and, last night, I found him with his head on his back. I've never seen him do that before. I also have a couple of older hens (2+ yrs old, black sex link) who rattle when they breathe. I have had very few eggs over the past month or so (0-2 eggs per day from 10 layers, 6 2+yr old black sex links, 2 1+yr old Ameracaunas, and 2 less than 1 yr old Speckled Sussex). Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom