duramycin-10

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bella1210, Jul 17, 2010.

1. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    we have duramycin-10 and need to know if it is safe. [​IMG] we have a turkey that has been coughing and some hens and roos one is laying right now can we still eat her eggs if we give them the medicine we also have 2 other turkeys. can we treat them all or just the one that has been coughing. [​IMG] will it hurt any of our other chickens and turkeys. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. bella1210

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    help [​IMG]

3. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    Duramycin is safe, it is a broad spectrum antibiotic which means it treats alot of different illnesses. It should only be used to treat the sick if you can separate but wont hurt the others if you put it in the water. It may not help much depending on the specific ailment though.

As for eating the eggs, I wouldnt sell them to anyone but you can eat them.

The reason people say not to give antibiotics to healthy birds or not to eat the eggs is that you are helping the bacteria build up resistance to it, but it takes a long period of time for this to occur and you should be fine when administering it over a 7-14 day period.

But you should make your own decision as I am not vet, doctor, or an employee of the FDA.

4. bella1210

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by