Duramycin-10

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sueche, Nov 20, 2011.

1. sueche

sueche Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Last week I posted about 3 hens I got from an auction that had some gross eye infection. I guessed it was corzya. I ended up culling them all. Now I noticed one of my hens has one eye shut and is making a gurgling sound while breathing. from some quick research I picked up Duramycin-10. I am not sure how to use it.
    My # 1 problem is that my hens are on organic feed and are free range. We love their eggs. The package said not to use on hens producing eggs for human consumption. If I give her this will I have to stop eating her eggs? or is that only for the 10-14 days of administration.

Maybe I should just cull her and hope the rest of the girls dont get sick too.

thanks

2. sueche

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    I may be wrong that is was corzya. I am not sure...

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I would give them ALL antibiotics if they were exposed to the culled ones. I also don't throw away the eggs for 2 weeks...I cook them and give back to the chickens.

4. sueche

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    how much do I give?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Here's a link for Duramycin 10 dosage. Withdrawal is 21 days after last use. Dont give the eggs back to your birds, you'll be extending the withdrawal period and also risking possible bacterial antibiotic resistance.
    http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf

6. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Dawg, you're so right. I do give them during worming treatment. I use 1/2 teaspoon per quart of water.

7. sueche

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    I putting it in her water bowl, do I just let her drink it and change the water every few days? So would the start date be today for example and just giving her water for the next 10-14 day. then switch to clean water?

to keep her isolated....she has to be far away from other girls, not just a fence separating them.

I am new to all this chicken stuff.... I don't want screw it up. [​IMG]

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Change the water everyday. The potency goes down after 24 hours. I agree I would treat them all even if they are not showing symptoms. When I had a silkiex with a sinus infection she said withdrawl for 2 weeks, but the 21 days sounds better just in case. Good luck with her and the rest.

9. ChicksRus6

ChicksRus6 New Egg

Nov 1, 2012
    What if you feed the sick chickens the eggs layer while on sulmet for 48 hours as an extension of the treatment?

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sulmet itself has a 10 day withdrawal period.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by