Duramycin-10

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jobird, Mar 20, 2015.

1. jobird

jobird New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    I have 10 chicks ranging from 1 week to 3 weeks. They are different types and from different farms. All but my 2 cochins (11 days old) are doing great. the 2 cochins are not growing and very lethargic. I have to clean their bottoms daily. I recently separated them from the others because they are so small now in comparison. they have not been picked on, they are warm, they are on the best chick feed. I was told to give them a pinch of Duramycin-10 in their small (1 quart) water bottle for 3 days. Today is day 3 and Im wondering if I am doing the right thing for them.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi & [​IMG]! Are you feeding medicated chick feed ? Duramycin-10 can be given in the water in place of medicated chick feed to prevent Cocci at a rate of 1 Tbs to 1 Gal. water. If you are not feeding medicated chick feed - you can keep them on the Duramycin-10 for several weeks and it won't hurt them. However it sounds like your 2 cochins have pasty butt so, adding 1 tsp. organic apple cider vinegar (also called Mother's or ACV) to their water will help with that. You will still need to keep a eye on their vent to make sure it is clean. As to the lack of thriving - They may not have absorbed all of the yoke during hatching so, they may be lacking vitamins. You can get Save-A-Chick vitamins and add it to their water with the ACV. Also feed them some mashed up scrambled egg mixed with a little plain regular yogurt. The protein and probiotics is good for chicks or adult chickens that need a boost. Good luck and hope they feel better soon!

3. jobird

jobird New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    Yes, I do have them on medicated chic feed. Thank you for your suggestions, I wanted to make sure I wasn't overdoing it by giving them both. I will try the apple cider, is it 1 tsp. per gallon? My water bottle is about a quart. Im also wondering, how do I get them to eat the eggs? I tried giving some to my bigger girls and they wouldn't touch it. .

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    welcome to BYC!

Duramycin-10 will not treat coccidiosis, for that one needs to use Corid or Amprol (amprolium), which you will find in the cattle section of your feed store. Here is a dosing picture:
    [​IMG]
    Probably best to use the severe outbreak dose.

-Kathy

5. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    How are the chicks doing? One tablespoon ACV to 1 gallon of water so, 3/4 teaspoon ACV to a quart of water. I mash up the cooked eggs so its little like chick feed and once they taste it, they usually love it. I would add some of the Save-A-Chick vitamins to their water too. Here is a link to a poo chart so, you can see what is normal http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by