1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duramycin for WORMS...HUH???!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by honeydoll, Jan 10, 2010.

1. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Ok, so I was at tractor supply yesterday to get some feed and wanted to buy a wormer for my chickens just as a yearly regimend. The lady that worked there and a poultry farmer said duramycin will kill worms. It's a cleansing agent. Is this true? It doesn't make sense to me at all, it's an antibiotic isn't it? My girls are somewhat on the skinny side and we've ruled out eveything esle, so I wanted to worm to be safe. They also said that is normal for the winter, they get a little rough. IS that true too? My real question is: does duramycin kill worms too? ANy help would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I think you are correct.

Imp

3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Doramectin kills worms in pigs and cattle...maybe she had the word wrong? Terri O

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Duramycin is antibiotic. I have used it before.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Truthfully, I wouldn't take advice on chicken health from anyone who works at TSC. I realize that is a sweeping statement, but they have given more bad advice than I can even remember. Antibiotics do not kill worms. Healthy chicks do not need antibiotics. Duramycin is an antibiotic. They have advised both, unnecessarily. Wormers are Invermectin, Eprinex, Safeguard (Panacur /Fenbendazole), Valbazen and probably a few others like Wazine which kills only roundworms.

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:TOTALLY agree! They told me every chick needs it in their water for the first few days. I bought it, and saved it for when we had a few injuries that required it(dog attack). Otherwise we don't use it. NO CHICK gets it...ever. I want them to be strong on their own. Those TSC people mean well, just don't know the difference [​IMG]

7. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Which is good for gapeworms - easy to give? I have never wormed mine, but I have one who has done the gape a couple of times like something was in her throat.

8. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    unless you know that the person selling you the stuff actually owns chickens and has been for a few years, i wouldn't buy it on their advise. that is why i like my Blue Seal. if one of the ladies that works there is there on a day i have chicken related questions that is the day i will buy meds i am sure of. if they don't carry a certain one i need they at least know where to look for it.

TSC is like Wal-Mart, they carry everything but not everyone that works there even knows what they are used for. many people are hired off the street and have never owned an animal other than pet store animals that is cheaply replaceable.

9. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    THanks everyone. I kinda figured that. Is there a wormer I can use and still safely eat the eggs? Some I've read say top throw eggs out for like four weeks total. Seems like a real waste to me. Since I haven't seen worms but want to be safe what can I use with the least amount of waste of eggs. And at what dose? Oh, nad you all are great peeps, so helpful and willing to answer questions. [​IMG]

10. thedoors5to1

thedoors5to1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    i agree with speckled hen and CindiLoohoo, i've been given not so great advice from TSC too.... from now on, i ask them: "oh, do you have chickens,ducks? how long?...." before even considering thier advice..
    also i dont think there is any safe wormer that you can use and still eat the eggs... and i wouldnt if it said you could..
    wormers are useless if thier used past thier use by date...
    i use Piperazine but ive heard of using Flubenvet which is good. heres an excerpt from a page that mentions it:

"...Flubendazole, found in Flubenvet, is effective against gapeworm Syngamus, large roundworm Ascarides and gizzard worm Amidostomum. However, tapeworm is not mentioned. I believe that flubendazole is effective against tapeworm at a certain dose, but the dosage should be obtained from a vet using a veterinary handbook. Tapeworms appear to affect chickens more than waterfowl..."
    from: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=937

so to answer your question kcsunshine, flubenvet is effective against gapeworm!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by