Duramycin HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gallito1982, Oct 5, 2013.

1. gallito1982

gallito1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    Hi everybody, so basically i had one baby chick that starts snizzing and opens the mouth very wide like trying to breath or like something inside is bothering, but now all the rest of the chicks have the same symptoms, im planning in putting them in antibiotics but the only one that i have available in a local feed store is duramycil, can anybody help me a little with the dosage? Some chicks are 4 weeks old othersare like 2 weeks old

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Tylan soluble powder is better for respiratory problems than Duramycin (tetracycline). Most feed stores I've seen carry it: http://www.revivalanimal.com/Tylan.html?a=bing
    Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water each day for 3-5 days. Follow up with Probios and vitamin-electrolyte powder in the water for three days.

If you insist on using Duramycin, the dosage is the same (1 tsp per gallon).

3. gallito1982

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    Thank you so much, I hear good think about Tylan but unfortunately the feed store only carry the tylan 50 inyectable would that work The same as the powder? I don't wanna risk the chicks, or should I go with Duration powder solution?

4. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You're welcome. No. Don't use the Tylan 50 injectible that way for 2 week or 4 week old chicks. It won't mix with water properly and aspiration is likely if you tried it orally. See if a local feed store has LS-50 water soluble powder. Dosage is 1/4 tsp per quart or 1 tsp per gallon of water. Tylan is better, then LS-50, then Tetracyclines like Duramycin.

5. gallito1982

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    Thanks for the fast response, I will ask for the other product, as for the vitamins /electrolyte that you mentioned would save-a-chick electrolyte work?

6. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Yes. For follow up, use it in the water for three days after the last day of antibiotic treated water. Probiotics are also important to replace after medicating with antibiotics. Probios powder has all the lactobacillus culture needed for birds that I mentioned. I believe Sav-A-Chick also makes a probiotic powder packet. I use probiotics a couple times a week in water whether my birds are sick or not.

7. gallito1982

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    You rock!! Thanks for all the info can't wait for the feed store open to go grab what this poor chicks need, thanks again

8. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You're welcome. I hope that remedies the problem. Keep me posted on how your chicks are doing.

9. gallito1982

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    sure i will, i just came back from the feed store they dont carry nothing besides duramycin, so i grab a small bag, i just prepared the first dosage 1 tsp for a gallon of water they start drinking right away thank god, i also pick some sav-a-chick priobotics and electrolits will see how they do

10. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Good. What some folks do is add ascorbic acid (vitamin c) to help with the absorption of tetracyclines, doxycyclines, etc. I just used cranberry juice for its high c content, and I think it takes the bitterness away so they are more willing to drink it. I used a 1/2 cup in a gallon of water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by