Duramycin tip

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sbtgal, Sep 16, 2011.

1. sbtgal

sbtgal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    Austin
    I'm on day three of dosing the girls with duramycin-10 (for respiratory problem, different thread) with the recommended amount of 1 tablespoon per gallon. When I first mix it, it is pale yellow. By the end of the day, it's an absolutely disgusting looking brown! I sure wouldn't drink it, though the girls don't seem to mind. I checked the package and found the following:

Note:
    This product is to be administered twice a day in the drinking water of swine, calves and poultry. One-half of the recommended daily dosage level of antibiotic is to be consumed during each administration period, thus providing the drug in divided doses.

I'm assuming the antibiotic breaks down with heat/sunlight etc and doing half doses is a work around. So this morning I mixed up 1.5 teaspoons in half a gallon instead and I'll mix a fresh batch around 1pm. SO, if you tried duramycin with no success, maybe this had something to do with it?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I noticed that too...It does change color and looks gross after a full day! Good idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by