1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

duramycin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimice, Oct 4, 2011.

1. kimice

kimice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I am about to dose my flock with duramycin. Started out with one sneezing with a runny nose and now it has moved to a couple others. I was hoping that they would have strong enough immune systems and it would just go away, but these are rescue chickens. I just don't think I am going to be that lucky. They are all eating and drinking normally. Poo is all normal and all of that. Just thought I should go ahead with the antibiotics so that it doesn't get any worse. I only have 6 of chickies so I am getting the powdered form and putting it in thier drinking water. Just wondering about any sort of withdrawl time on eating the eggs after they are medicated. If I can't eat them...is it ok to scramble the eggs up and feed it back to them?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:The withdrawal period for duramycin is 21 days after last use. Do not feed the eggs back to your chickens. There's residue in the eggs and you'll be extending the withdrawal period as well as possibly building bacterial resistance to the product. Here's a link: Post #33
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=193203

3. acaps

acaps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2013
    To be clear on the egg withdrawal time for Duramycin 10, this product is NOT labeled for egg layers and states on the label “Not for use in turkeys or chickens producing eggs for human consumption”. This product has not been tested on eggs, therefore Durvet cannot recommend anything for off-label use. It is suggested that you contact your veterinarian for advice.
    Customer Service, Durvet, Inc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by