1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duramysin-10 Dosage?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beverlybirdd, Dec 11, 2009.

1. beverlybirdd

beverlybirdd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    One of my hens, a speckled sussex, has lost her appetite and doing a weird thing with her head/neck. [​IMG] Hard to explain, but stretches it out and back again. I went to the coop tonight and felt her crop and felt air in it. Not sure if this is normal. I have felt air in it before when she was acting fine. I went to feed store and purchased Duramycin-10 antibiotic hoping it will help. However, I can't figure out how much powder to put into how much water. The bag has 10g of powder. From reading it, it looks as if I need 400 mg to each gallon per day. I'm not a math wiz nor am I as smart as a fifth grader [​IMG] so how many spoon fulls is 400 mg of powder per gallon? [​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Really, it's not recommended to use an antibiotic when you don't know what you are treating. I wouldn't use it. Has she been wormed? Could be gapeworm. Have you checked inside her mouth/throat?

3. TomKat

TomKat Out Of The Brooder

I agree with kathyinmo that you need to know what you are treating before determining antibiotics are the correct course of action. Also, I believe you were misreading the instructions. The label says the 6.4 oz package will make 25 gallons containing 400mg of the antibiotic. I would recommend mixing it at the 800 mg level instead. To do this you need 14.3 grams of powder for each gallon. As for a volume measurement this is approximately 1 Tablespoon of the powder per gallon. If it is a particular bird you are trying to treat I would suggest soaking some bread in the treated water and feeding him/her directly to ensure they are ingesting a sufficient amount. There is a lot of good threads on BYC for help in diagnosing illnesses. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by