1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duration of antibiotics in laying hens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RobSherman, Mar 21, 2015.

1. RobSherman

RobSherman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Sherman, Tx
    I had a very ill hen last week. She could not walk, nor really even stand. She had aqueous diarrhea, I'm not experienced enough to know, for sure, what the pathogen was. I treated the sick hen with Tylan injections, and now she is fine, back with the other girls, and reestablishing her rightful place in the flock. I gave preventative oral oxytetracycaline to the remainder of the flock for 1 week. My question is, how long will it be before my laying hens no longer have oxytetracycaline in their eggs. I'm sure my neighbors are anxious to have this question answered, as I provide them with eggs. Thank You for your help.

2. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    You must wait at least 7-10 dayes after the last treatment. I would waite 2 weeks befor giving the eggs to my children. You must remember that the use of antibiotics can disrupt the equilibrium between the microbes and the fungi in the microflora of the chicken and it can results whit proliferation of Candida albicans which is a fungus that can causes crop problems like crop bounding. so after you gave the antibiotics you must give also probiotics and vitamins. and an anti fungal treatment!(0.5 gram of copper sulfate in one liter drinking water for 5 days) good luck!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There's a 5 day withdrawal period after the last dosing:
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pharmacology/antibacterial_agents/tetracyclines.html
    Provide your hen a probiotic for 3 days after using oxytetracycline, such as Probios or buttermilk and scrambled egg mixed in her feed to make mash to eat.

4. Akrnaf2

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    The recommended withdrawal period does not take in considerationthe situation of the specific chicken. The withdrawal period is influenced from the age,weight,breed and the general health situation of the chicken. So I strongly recommend you to extend the security margin that you take before you restart eating again eggs!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I suggest that you contact Merck and explain that to them so they can make the change in their vet manual.
    http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  6. RobSherman

RobSherman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Sherman, Tx
    I have them on probiotics, and electrolytes still. Thanks...

7. Akrnaf2

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    My recommendation is based on on the book of Gail Damerow "The chicken health handbook" Page 191. and I quote :".... Remember ,the withdrawal time is the minimum required by law- it doesn't hurt to bee on the side of caution and add a few extra days. Before you start collecting eggs to eat, add 10 days to any withdrawal time specified for meat birds,since substances can be deposited in an egg as long as 10 days before it is laid" from my point of view you can eat the eggs even when your chicken is taking the drug,I don׳t tell you what to do, but you must know all the facts before you put in risk outer people!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by