1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Durham, NC residents trying to change ordinance

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by cjstanman, Aug 3, 2008.

1. mango1612

mango1612 In the Brooder

Feb 9, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Wow, looks like it's a shame we can't just change the laws so it's the same across NC! Durham, Cary, Wake Forest...

2. krjwaj

krjwaj Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    cjstanman,
    You read my mind, I just saw this on WRAL.com and was coming here to post it! [​IMG]

We about 45 minutes from Durham. Cary is also in a chicken debate right now.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Just a shout out to the NC people here. I love and miss NC and really hope you find a way to get the bans lifted. I lived in Durham and Apex, among other places in NC for a while. Sometimes I wish life wasn't so complicated and I could go back.

4. krjwaj

krjwaj Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    I lived in Durham and Apex, among other places in NC for a while.

We are in Apex. Where abouts did you live?​

5. emandmikey

emandmikey Songster

Apr 30, 2008
    Wake Forest, NC
    We lived in Apex our first year of marriage at Avalon Peaks apartments! I love Wake Forest, but really hope that the Commissioners make a positive decision for us here! My kids really want some chickens, and I really want some too. We're really trying to be more 'green' and food concious, and we think chickens are really cute too! Anyway - we will be at the WF Farmer's Market this Saturday with a couple of different types of chickens, and I hope we'll get a bunch more signatures! Here's the link to the online petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/WakeForestChickens/

The commissioner I have spoken with said that signatures outside of our area aren't really going to do much to convince them, so I need everyone to get EVERYONE they know IN Wake Forest to sign the petition! Wish us luck!

6. cjstanman

cjstanman Songster

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    I'm lucky in that I live out in unincorporated Granville County (just a bit north of Raleigh). The only rules I've got is a) I can't have a hog operation, and b) I can't build a trailer park on my property. Anything else goes!

Just about got my chicken tractor done, waiting on my friend who's going to order 25 chickens and I'll order 3-4. (Will post up more when it actually happens, ha ha!)

I think (hope!) the trend will start changing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: