During the summer I suggested you do this

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by buc, Dec 23, 2008.

1. buc

buc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    And now during the beginning of winter being as wet and bitter cold as it has started with little chance of getting better I bet you wish you would have installed that money saving wood heater.

For those that took my gentle nudging congrats.

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Not here...[​IMG]

Wood is much more expensive per BTU produced than electricity produced from our Duke Energy nuclear plants here in NC. Now if I had a forest of dead trees and the time and energy to cut them down, split them and feed them into a wood stove maybe it would be a different scenario.

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

ive had wood heat my whole life,,, till i got here in texas,,,, whats wood?

4. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Come to Wyoming if you want to see rare, expensive wood! Was $150.00 a cord for pine or cottonwood last year. Whats hard wood??I have 2 pellet stoves in the house and put 1 wood/coal burner in the chicken house and another one in the ducks green house. We of course burn coal. Quite alot of that around here.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    In Wisconsin, there was lots of cheap hardwood. Wood stoves were great. Out here in Colorado? What's hardwood? [​IMG]

6. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

I grew up in a house with a woodburner and didn't realize how good I had it! I currently live in a rental house with fuel oil heat and it has been very expensive the last several years (although it isn't so bad right now), but the worst thing is that it never feels nearly as warm to me as wood heat did! I'm excited, though. Our new house (the one we're buying and will hopefully close on soon) has an outdoor woodburner! I can't wait to get in that house and be done paying for fuel oil! We have quite a bit of wooded acreage, so firewood for us just costs us our labor!

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    My father installed a wood-burning stove in every single house we had built when I was growing up. We used to make fun of him for it . . . until one year here in TN when we had a terrible ice storm, and many folks were out of power for up to three weeks! He slept next to that stove for three nights, keeping the fire stoked so the log home stayed nice and toasty while the wind howled outside. I never forgot this, and I am now a supporter of off-grid power and heating sources.

Stay warm, everyone!

8. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
  9. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Ach, Central Coast of CA!! I sure do miss those Monterey days and Salinas nights . . .

10. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Using the wood furnace right now.

But then , I've been doing that for about 20 years. We have both a wood furnace and a propane furnace. We use the wood furnace as much as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by